Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mp44 stock repair

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Well, for sure start using the repro to shoot...originals are worth their weight in gold anymore....

If it were me, I would pull the stock from the ferrule, find some of the ridged harwood dowels that are quite a bit bigger in diameter than the screw shafts, drill out the holes so the dowels are a somewhat tight fit, coat the interior of the holes with Gorilla Glue, or something else that will be a very strong bond, tap the dowels into the holes, and allow to dry/cure very well, drill new pilot holes for the screws, and carefully re-install.....

Once assembled, you really shouldn't be able to tell its been repaired...

Maybe Flynaked or one of the other guys might have better ideas, but there is mine...

And then never use it to shoot with again if you have the repro...
    This is exactly what I had done to mine.
    We did a couple of K in blanks on one film and the stock just rattled off - in a manner that sounds very similar to yours.
    I gave it to a friend who does such things and it will now be good for a lot more than a few thousand more rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
    This is exactly what I had done to mine.
    We did a couple of K in blanks on one film and the stock just rattled off - in a manner that sounds very similar to yours.
    I gave it to a friend who does such things and it will now be good for a lot more than a few thousand more rounds.

I would also go the route of the toothpicks with wood glue or acu-glass , drilling would be the very last resort

lots of great idea's, heck even the repro stocks are spendy

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    I would also go the route of the toothpicks with wood glue or acu-glass , drilling would be the very last resort

lots of great idea's, heck even the repro stocks are spendy
    Yes - agreed.

In my case, however, 70 odd years of oil, rust and moisture had caused wood fatigue from the recoil spring cavity outwards, so replacing the wood by drilling and pegging, revitalized the stock with no external evidence, and made for an extremely solid fix.
    I was going to trash the stock and buy a replacement, but, one of the armourers on the show was also a wood-worker and begged me to reconsider.