Third Party Press

Carl Zeiss Glasvisier 16

Absolut

Since this quite unique optical system has not been documented in here before, I thought I would do a picture set of one of my Glasvisier for future reference.

Attachments

• glasvisier_01.jpg
    glasvisier_01.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 89
  • glasvisier_02.jpg
    glasvisier_02.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 101
  • glasvisier_03.jpg
    glasvisier_03.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 73
  • glasvisier_04.jpg
    glasvisier_04.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 66
  • glasvisier_05.jpg
    glasvisier_05.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 62
  • glasvisier_06.jpg
    glasvisier_06.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 72
  • glasvisier_07.jpg
    glasvisier_07.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 63
  • glasvisier_08.jpg
    glasvisier_08.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 69
  • glasvisier_09.jpg
    glasvisier_09.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 62
  • glasvisier_10.jpg
    glasvisier_10.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 69
The set is complete aside of the cleaning clothing which originally was attached to the string inside the carrying case. The picture showing lenses was taken from the front (so not the shooters view), to make the trapezoid shaped lense visible.

Attachments

• glasvisier_11.jpg
    glasvisier_11.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 39
  • glasvisier_12.jpg
    glasvisier_12.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 39
  • glasvisier_13.jpg
    glasvisier_13.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 43
  • glasvisier_14.jpg
    glasvisier_14.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 41
  • glasvisier_15.jpg
    glasvisier_15.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 42
Really an amazing rifle in such great condition. Hard to believe this is something over a hundred years old now. And it looks this nice which is even more incredible.

Thank you for the comments. I might point out that I myself discovered something new about the Zeiss Glasvisier while taking these pictures. I had not been aware previously that the very small and thin cutout in top of the front sight cover acts as guiding for the front sight cover by using the front sight blade.

I‘ve also tried to take a picture of what the soldier using this setup is seeing. I failed doing so. Interestingly the triangle from the front sight cover is all present in the sight and it seems that one has to line it up with the trapezoid shaped lense in the rear sight which is much harder to make out.

Details regarding doing the pictures:

Per the tip of a friend (and fellow member here) I originally bought the „Sanoto MK50“ light box from Amazon. This is perfect to make amazing pictures of scopes and smaller parts. The carrying case to the Glasvisier shown here were taken in this light box.

I liked the design of this light box so much that I have copied it in larger style to also hold rifles. Additionally I modified the rifle light box in the way that I have an additional third light from front bottom.

In this case I had been „lazy“. Usually I use fishing line or steel rod (from pike fishing) to hang a rifle in those to have it freely sitting without any shadows in the background. This does not apply for this rifle. I simply placed it on bottom of the light box sitting on top of a white paper box (the original Hensoldt box for the 6-24x72 military scope). You can see this by the shadow in the rifle total picture on bottom of the stock in about the middle of the rifle.

The camera used for this setup is a Canon EOS 80D. I recently had considered switching over to a Sony Alpha 7R III since I liked the idea of 42 MP, but after researching it the main advantage seems to be the smaller and lighter design of the camera, not the quality (aside of much more resolution). Since I‘m anyway only using the camera from fixed position and never carry it with me, the previously mentioned advantage therefore does not apply to my case.

Seldom do You get to see a Gew98 in this Condition and to Top it all off a Glasvisier 16 also in Great Cond. :thumbsup:

Not sure if this is Fact or Nonsense , from my understanding the Glasvisier could only be used with Gews that had a special type or purposeful made Rear Sight to accept the Optic . Is this True or Not ?????

What is the purpose of the leather eye piece? It's obviously too far away from the shooter's eyes.

Not sure if this is Fact or Nonsense , from my understanding the Glasvisier could only be used with Gews that had a special type or purposeful made Rear Sight to accept the Optic . Is this True or Not ?????
It can be attached to any rear sight. Late in war the rear sights were specially marked for those sights with „Gl.V.“, such as on this rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back