Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bcd G43 feeding issues

Ok i just got back from the range, shot 25 rounds with the piece of wood under the spring and i was actually able to empty a magazine or two (we can only put 5 rounds in our magazines according to the law) without a hickup. I'd say it failed to feed 3 or 4 times out of 25, so it's a lot better then yesterday. But yesterday was also one of the worst days i ever had with this rifle. I had days at the range without the piece of wood where she also didn't jam as much, so i'm still not too satisfied with the results. But at least it didn't feel like i was shooting a single shot rifle instead of a semi auto one!

Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    The rear end of the magazine follower pushes the bolt stop up after the last round. No mag = no bolt stop.
    The bolt stop does not have a very strong spring. Sometimes the bolt stop rubs against the rear rib of the magazine and prevents it from functioning properly. I know your rifle has a new aftermarket stock. You should inspect the stock and make sure it is not interfering with the magazine. The only guide needed for the magazine is the cutout in the receiver and the cutout in the trigger guard. If it touches anything else: no good.
    I will take a look at this when i clean the rifle later tonight. Is there any way to make the bolt stop work again? It's not a big deal to me if it doesn't work, but this gun has had so much work done to it and parts replaced that the collectors value isn't too high anymore. So another new part or spring won't hurt that much anymore anyway.

Guess
    A) Stock is too thick causing the magazine baseplate not fully actuating the bolt stop
    B) Bolt carrier bent causing the bolt riding too high also not enabling the bolt stop fully actuating.
    C) Bolt stop worn

My experience in feeding and reloading issues are mostly caused by the magazine.

Someone nearby has 2 G43's, will ask if he wants to get in touch and maybe you can exchange mags with him to try ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
    Guess
    A) Stock is too thick causing the magazine baseplate not fully actuating the bolt stop
    B) Bolt carrier bent causing the bolt riding too high also not enabling the bolt stop fully actuating.
    C) Bolt stop worn

My experience in feeding and reloading issues are mostly caused by the magazine.

Someone nearby has 2 G43's, will ask if he wants to get in touch and maybe you can exchange mags with him to try ;)
    A: I assume this would be the easiest fix. But how do i know if the stock is too thick? I have looked at the gap between the trigger guard and the receiver, but there is almost no gap, either it's a very small one or they are touching each other. I can provide pictures if needed.
    B: I certainly hope not, Sounds like an expensive fix. I could do some measurements tho.
    C: It looks okay to me, i can manually push it up with my finger and when i do that it can actually hold to bolt open without a magazine inserted. Yet i don't know what an unused one looks like, so it might look fine to me but it could indeed be worn?

If that person is willing to lend some mags that would be great as it would directly tell me if it's the magazines or not. Let me know what he says! That's some great after-sale support there ;)

For now, i put in a thicker piece of wood, with the previous piece i could put in 7 rounds, our limit is 5 so i'm going to increase the thickness till i can only put 5 in and shoot it again today. If it works much better today then at least we can be pretty sure it's the magazine spring. I did find an online retailer selling repro mag springs for 20$, so that's not too bad actually. I did notice that after putting in the thicker piece of wood the bolt catch seems to work a bit better when manually pulling the bolt back. It probably wont lock back when actually shooting the gun, but it's perhaps another indicator that the spring has gone bad?

To fix the bolt stop issue (assuming the bolt stop is not completely worn), first remove the magazine, then remove the entire bolt assembly, turn the rifle on its back and flush all dirt out of the bolt stop with WD-40 or Caramba lubrication spray. Make sure the bolt stop moves freely without binding, then add a couple drops of motor oil.

Next, insert the empty magazine and watch the bolt stop. The bolt stop should rise. Now, with the magazine still inserted, press down on the follower. The bolt stop should retract and you're good to go. If not, see next step.

If pressing down on the follower does not cause the bolt stop to retract, remove the magazine and hold it such that you look at the back side with the raised rib. You will notice that the rib is cut out on top by about 6mm and allows you to see the rear protrusion of the magazine follower. The rear protrusion is the part that actuates the bolt stop and the cutout in the rib is where the bolt stop and rear protrusion engage.

Now, take a look at the right side of the ridge. Run your finger over the right side edge of the cutout, do you feel a burr or a curve around the edge? Is the paint rubbed off or scratched around the edge? If this is the case, the ridge is slightly flared on top and the bolt stop is rubbing against the ridge which causes it to work erratically. Using channel lock pliers or a vise, carefully squeeze left and right side of the top of the ridge together. Make sure the follower still moves freely after squeezing.