Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on an Unstamped K98

Default Questions on an Unstamped K98

Picked this up recently, besides one screw it's all matching, the former owner gave me a decent run down on what the potential history was via a book, in which unstamped K98s were referenced. Curious if anyone has read, or has any other opinion on this history of this K98. So far, the suspicion is the some parts previously did not pass specs but in the late war the specs were lowered and the gun was assembled and sent out. I suspect that the receiver was restamped to join the rest of the series but that part just happened to start with '59'. Seems coincidental, otherwise maybe it's just a mistake that was fixed. Not too sure on that one.

What I can see are matching S/Ns on buttstock, and interior groove, waffenamt 352, byf, and S/N on butt stock, another waffenamt on the grip and eagle but the numbers are unreadable. On the receiver/barrel: 38si80, 3x waffenamt 280, 2x waffenamt 623 under rear sight, last two numbers of S/Ns ground down, and restamped. Around the rest fo the rifle there are a few other waffenamts in various places with 80, 655.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a FACTORY WWII gun but put together with WWII parts and forced matching and some one bought stamps and went crazy. you need to return the gun ASAP it is a FAKE!!

later
    vaughn

A seriously BAD gun

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Hmm '38 MB finished Silesiastahl barrel with a flat butt plate stock. Seems ok except barrel is clocked upside down. Serious red flag. Worse is if you look at the receiver I'm certain someone has used a dremel or small belt sander to remove the last 2 digits to make it appear matching. Obviously more photos of details could tell us a lot about the parts used to make this up but bottom line is as others already said you should run away. fake serial number.JPG

I should have read the OP closer. Seems you own this now. There has been discussion regarding the altering of serial numbers on the receiver and the general consensus is it's not good.
    Last edited by heavy_mech; 01-12-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Default Questions on an Unstamped K98

Agree with above, this gun was put together and faked specifically to deceive. Run away!

(EDIT: I think flynaked has made some good points about this rifle and because depot repaired rifles are something I know next to nothing about, and I trust his eye, I’m going to pull back from my statement. Let’s see what others think, it’s certainly an interesting possibility!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by M1903A3; 01-12-2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Edited: I think flynaked may be right!

I agree a total put together, but I have to disagree that it’s fake.

Is no one looking at the Walther supplied ordnance spare receiver and Oberndorf armorer stock, clearly marked byf on the keel and the Spandau depot marked wrist? Also don’t forgot the depot applied “4” on the receiver top, I’ll bet the TG is marked as such too. Looks to me like this rifle got a NEW receiver and stock, which would explain the barrel being upside down, had to be re clocked for headspacing, no??

The receiver serial would be hand stamped to match the rifle, so I don’t see an issue there, you see messed up punched numbers/proofs get ground and restamped from time to time. Or am I just going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    ..Is no one looking at the Walther supplied ordnance spare receiver
    I did see that it was from Walther. I could not make out the stock markings other than it was an MO part. I'd never seen and didn't think they would do that receiver serial scrub but I certainly couldn't say for sure.

I'd also never seen a barrel clocked upside down.

Also the Steyr rear sight base threw me. I didn't think they supplied those as ordinance spares?
    Last edited by heavy_mech; 01-12-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added thought+more
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

HM,
    Grinding and restamping definitely did occur, at one time I owned an example with even a partially restamped receiver code, I have pictures of that one, I’ll have to dig them up. That particular example was in the first 1k or so 1939 Gustloffs which all had hand stamped code/date before the roll mark was instituted.

As to the barrel, I have no clue what capabilities the particular depots had other than some may have lacked the capability to face receivers and such necessary for proper barrel indexing, I could see that being a real possibility as this is at least the second (what I believe to be a depot rifle) that I’ve seen with the original barrel serial now indexed under the wood line.

As to the Steyr sight base, I have to imagine some rifles that were beyond repair were likely broken down for parts, because I believe you are entirely right that I’ve never heard mention of them supplying spares.
    I don’t specifically collect or study depot rifles and they can certainly be confusing at times so I would love to hear more discussion of this one.

Quite the interesting rifle. We would have to see better pictures to make a proper assessment of the rifle. If it is a depot build rifle (which would make since considering the walther receiver and conglomerate of parts) where is the specific depots roman numerals? Or were they not always used? I think Clay is spot on with his assessment. These depot rifles are not easy to follow.

John.

I'd like to see if the OP jumps back in and could post some good photos of any markings he can find. It might significantly improve the rifles prospects.