Third Party Press
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Questions on an Unstamped K98

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaughn99 View Post
    ..when a rifle has flipped factory serial or 1 digit off error and people have to explain that to get the going rate. This will need a 2 page description to sell it and many will be put off or call BS except the super collector
    Yeah I'd have to agree. A real forum would probably be appropriate. I'd seen the serial grind before in the last few years (1 Gunbonker seller did it more than once and got called) but the one thing I still can't wrap my head around is where the e/623 RSB came from and why they decided to replace that too?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    ..I'm happy to see so many people catch on and figure this rifle out (hopefully from what they have learned here on the forum and from the books).
    Yes I'm glad I circled back to see how this continued to unfold. Certainly the books unlock rare and odd items that would take a lifetime to see. Two things. Would really good pics get this stickie worthy? (It IS really interesting) Second, thoughts on why the e/623 RSB? Still can't wrap my head around that one. Damaged and this was a salvage piece?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

They obviously broke rifles down for parts and used them at depots, they must have been very damaged to end up in the parts bin though considering the amount of work this one was given. It also has a Radom front sight base too. Actually not even just depots used parts like this, you sometimes see previously numbered parts (often imperial) used in production, so they definitely broke rifles down. I can recall seeing this at Brünn mostly but I believe other manufacturers as well. It is a very interesting rifle, cool to see all the details that add up to authenticating it, it indeed has all the depot numbering on the other components.