Third Party Press

Book about Weimar Simson 98s?

Dugger93

Just got a book about Simson Lugers and would now like a good book on the Weimar Era Simson 98s, anybody have suggestions?

Volume 1 has great info on them. Storz’s books might be another one, not sure how far into Weimar he goes?

Storz book has next to nothing on Simson, even less on the Republican era, a couple pages. Really, unless you are a researcher or a serious student of the rifles, it is best to save your money with Storz Modell98.

Vol. I has more than any other volume regarding the Republican era, though there are a number of collector grade books that are worth reading. Though probably not worth buying for the few pages involved. For about 20 years I have collected every scrap of material written on Simson/BSW, quite a few advertisements, invoices, magazine articles, private publications, you name it, and collectively it fits in a file binder that if i cut the pages out of Storz and collector books would weigh a couple or three pounds. Most of the best stuff made it into Vol.I, but there is no book on Simson worth buying. The P08 book is ok, gives a good outline, but seemingly ignores the importance of rifle production, which is kind of stupid as they made a lot more rifles than pistols. But, that is the way things are for P08 collectors, they have some of the best researchers, they have the most resources also, but they rarely consider rifle production in any calculation and generally ignore the other aspects of the company. HK and Simson are great examples, HK made so few pistols compared to everything else they made that their P08 production was meaningless, yet you would think reading P08 collectors comments that they made nothing else.

Anyway, Simson's armaments production in the Republican era was important to the company, but probably not what they really wanted to be involved in, nor was it all important. They made a large list of products and i think it was Jan Still's book that showed a display of it all. If i can find it I will post it (most period advertising was for bicycles and commercial items, like baby carriages, cars and motorcycles, - though they sold commercial firearms also.)

BTW, Dugger, I saw your WTB or trade for a Simson/24, as far as I know only four are known, maybe 5 if MarkW owns one. DaveD owns the finest (and earliest), fat chance he parts with it in his lifetime. I own #890 (barreled receiver & sights) and two others #371 that Joe Steen once discussed (not sure it actually exists, but he drew a datasheet for it) and #1738 was a sporter butchered job. So not likely you will find one, though I would sell mine if I thought you would restore it properly. Of course I would want a good price for it as it is probably one of the rarest maker-dates 1898-1945, - off hand I can't think of a production range of under 1700 rifles for any other maker-date, other than BSW/36.

Yes, I covered 98b production in Volume 1, but it’s never enough. Personally I’d love to see someone do a book dedicated to the Weimar era. What I did in Weimar era is what I consider an outline, there is a lot of cool stuff happening in the era between the wars. Simpson was a big part of rifle production but was by no means the only game in town. Most of what I used came from Paul and Lockhoven’s lifetimes of data accumulation graciously given to me for that chapter. It’s probably the only thing you will find on Simson, probably about 10-15 pages? Been a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pm sent Lowe! And thank you all for the info. I don't think I could learn that anywhere else on the internet.

When I bought mine it was at the old Houston Texas gun show, early 1980s, and prices were very very reasonable. I think, if memory serves me right, I paid a whopping $200.00 for it from Dennis Gerardi / I did not know at the time what I had scored.

It just caught my eye and the price was right.......

I'll dig it out and post photos if you desire.

Absolutely Dave, I would love to see more pictures of it also, I have some you posted before, but as your rifle is the earliest and finest known, it is useful to see anything of the rifle, even if duplicate views.

#371 was a well worn rifle, reportedly in a house fire in the late 1970's. Bob stated that it was at the other end of the house from the fire and may have survived with little damage. Other than Joe Steen's datasheet, really just a drawing of the B/R markings, we know little about its condition, though Bob stated it was well used like most 98b's.

I will post pictures of #890 later, maybe in another post, it was a typical Albanian import from the 1990's, got it in a trade from PeterK for G98 muzzle covers, 6 of them which is roughly $600 back then. Had it for over a decade, but I only kept the B/R as the stock was G98M and a beater. Peter included a well worn 98b stock in the trade but I do not have it now.

#1738 looks like an original rifle sportered, cut original stock, shallacked, drilled with scope added, but TG group/bolt match-original. Got pictures of it off my websites well over a decade ago. The high serial (1738) is probably misleading, going from comparisons, the year flips over lap on rifles and obviously as Simson serialed consecutive without rollover, the end year turn overs will mix receiver dates. We see this in 1925-1926 also. Essentially it is unlikely 1738 Simson/24's were made, but probably close. 1926 "dated" are very hard to find also. 1925 is very common and you have to go to the e-f blocks to find a more common "variation" (I group Simson 98b by marking changes, dated years, then variations to characteristics, often the style of the "S" on the receiver, not by suffix, though that would be valid also)

So, that is the extent of known (to me) Simson/1924's. MarkW almost certainly could add to known rifles, but he doesn't piddle online with his research.

#890 below, these are old pictures and i haven't taken recent pictures of the BR. What was original I kept, which includes the RS (RS sleeve e/6, the base and scale 1930's replacements though serialed to match in typical style - very common as you never see "original" pre-1927 or so RS's, I think all rifles upgraded 1919-1925 or whatever were upgraded again during the rearmament program 1932-1939, I say 1939 as they pretty much stopped making G98 parts around that time)

Attachments

• MVC-294F.JPG
    MVC-294F.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 27
  • MVC-295F.JPG
    MVC-295F.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
  • MVC-296F.JPG
    MVC-296F.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 34
  • MVC-308F.JPG
    MVC-308F.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
  • MVC-311F.JPG
    MVC-311F.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 29
  • MVC-322F.JPG
    MVC-322F.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 24
  • MVC-325F.JPG
    MVC-325F.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-345F.JPG
    MVC-345F.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 22
  • MVC-303F.JPG
    MVC-303F.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-304F.JPG
    MVC-304F.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
Been studying Simson and Gustloff rifles for many years now but I have yet to even own a single Simson made rifle yet! They are tough to find matching, without problems, and in good condition. Believe I know, not to mention not many folks want to let them go. Which I can't say I blame them either almost any Weimer era Simson rifle is rare. In four years I have seen one Kar98b for sale. But sadly it was drilled and tap for a weird scope mount. Saw that rifle at the 2018 SOS show, if its there again next month I will record the serial number and letter block for data.

Paul I have been in contact with some older collectors that may have some documents and pictures about German arms production. If something turns up I'll be in contact with you.

I would love to restore that rifle myself but if you decide to restore it I have some Simson parts I would let go of.

Okay here are both my 1924 and 1925

the 24 has a mm bolt the 25 is matching /// note butt stock repair to the '25

Attachments

• suhl1.jpg
    suhl1.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 63
  • suhl2.jpg
    suhl2.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 63
  • suhl3.jpg
    suhl3.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 64
  • suhl4.jpg
    suhl4.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 50
  • suhl5.jpg
    suhl5.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 43
  • suhl8.jpg
    suhl8.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 36
  • suhl9.jpg
    suhl9.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 36
  • suhl7.jpg
    suhl7.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG5720.jpg
    CIMG5720.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 31
  • suhl456.jpg
    suhl456.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 35
  • suhl19.jpg
    suhl19.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 35
  • suhl23.jpg
    suhl23.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 33
  • suhl20.jpg
    suhl20.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 40
  • suhl44.jpg
    suhl44.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 51
  • suhl55.jpg
    suhl55.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 59
Very nice rifles and not seen often. That butt repair happened a lot before cupped butt plates. The wood on that '24 held up really nice over the years.

Beautiful rifle Dave, - hate to imagine what its worth... while the Republican era is the least collected of the three era's, the rifles are the hardest to find like this and this is a super rare rifle in this condition. Soft prices are to be expected for 90% of 1919-1931 production, this is as much due to the lack of a war and lack of understanding of the period as to the almost complete absence of nice original rifles. The vast majority of "nice" rifles have NS era work done to them also, so true rifles of the period are almost unheard of. What there are is largely reworked Imperial rifles and unless they are RM or unit marked they just do not command good prices.

The only exception of course are P08's and 98b's, and they really become competitive in value with nice Imperial and 98k when condition is there. (Really a rifle like #323 is so rare it should command an astronomical price, - I would tag it for your wife if she is unaware of its rarity, terrible to see someone take advantage of her if you aren't around when its sold)

Jordan, always interested in what you come across, this is probably my favorite era these days, I spend almost all my reading time learning about the political-economic history of this period, especially as it relates to Germany.

Beautiful rifle Dave, - hate to imagine what its worth... while the Republican era is the least collected of the three era's, the rifles are the hardest to find like this and this is a super rare rifle in this condition. Soft prices are to be expected for 90% of 1919-1931 production, this is as much due to the lack of a war and lack of understanding of the period as to the almost complete absence of nice original rifles. The vast majority of "nice" rifles have NS era work done to them also, so true rifles of the period are almost unheard of. What there are is largely reworked Imperial rifles and unless they are RM or unit marked they just do not command good prices.

The only exception of course are P08's and 98b's, and they really become competitive in value with nice Imperial and 98k when condition is there. (Really a rifle like #323 is so rare it should command an astronomical price, - I would tag it for your wife if she is unaware of its rarity, terrible to see someone take advantage of her if you aren't around when its sold)

Jordan, always interested in what you come across, this is probably my favorite era these days, I spend almost all my reading time learning about the political-economic history of this period, especially as it relates to Germany.

Thank you, I really need to get with you on my other post WW1 era rifles. There are 15 -20, and some may be of interest to your research.

North fleet Simson!? Awesome! I really like the stock on the 24, that straight grained walnut almost gives the impression of elm, I wonder if it’s American walnut?

North fleet Simson!? Awesome!

I saw that too. What a nice bonus.

..the stock on the 24, that straight grained walnut almost gives the impression of elm, I wonder if it’s American walnut?

Not a wood guy, at least not at that level but pic 2 and 3 really show what I think you mean. I also wondered about where that wood came from. Good stuff.

Military Rifle Journal
Back