Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Book about Weimar Simson 98s?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Loewe that is one fantastic rifle! You are lucky to have it!

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I would love to restore that rifle myself but if you decide to restore it I have some Simson parts I would let go of.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    5,811

    Default

    Okay here are both my 1924 and 1925

    the 24 has a mm bolt the 25 is matching /// note butt stock repair to the '25
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #14
    ax - hole Warrior1354's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    Very cool thank you for the pictures Dave
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

    Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

  5. #15
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    3,346

    Default

    Very nice rifles and not seen often. That butt repair happened a lot before cupped butt plates. The wood on that '24 held up really nice over the years.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  6. #16
    Moderator² Loewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Beautiful rifle Dave, - hate to imagine what its worth... while the Republican era is the least collected of the three era's, the rifles are the hardest to find like this and this is a super rare rifle in this condition. Soft prices are to be expected for 90% of 1919-1931 production, this is as much due to the lack of a war and lack of understanding of the period as to the almost complete absence of nice original rifles. The vast majority of "nice" rifles have NS era work done to them also, so true rifles of the period are almost unheard of. What there are is largely reworked Imperial rifles and unless they are RM or unit marked they just do not command good prices.

    The only exception of course are P08's and 98b's, and they really become competitive in value with nice Imperial and 98k when condition is there. (Really a rifle like #323 is so rare it should command an astronomical price, - I would tag it for your wife if she is unaware of its rarity, terrible to see someone take advantage of her if you aren't around when its sold)

    Jordan, always interested in what you come across, this is probably my favorite era these days, I spend almost all my reading time learning about the political-economic history of this period, especially as it relates to Germany.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    5,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Beautiful rifle Dave, - hate to imagine what its worth... while the Republican era is the least collected of the three era's, the rifles are the hardest to find like this and this is a super rare rifle in this condition. Soft prices are to be expected for 90% of 1919-1931 production, this is as much due to the lack of a war and lack of understanding of the period as to the almost complete absence of nice original rifles. The vast majority of "nice" rifles have NS era work done to them also, so true rifles of the period are almost unheard of. What there are is largely reworked Imperial rifles and unless they are RM or unit marked they just do not command good prices.

    The only exception of course are P08's and 98b's, and they really become competitive in value with nice Imperial and 98k when condition is there. (Really a rifle like #323 is so rare it should command an astronomical price, - I would tag it for your wife if she is unaware of its rarity, terrible to see someone take advantage of her if you aren't around when its sold)

    Jordan, always interested in what you come across, this is probably my favorite era these days, I spend almost all my reading time learning about the political-economic history of this period, especially as it relates to Germany.
    Thank you, I really need to get with you on my other post WW1 era rifles. There are 15 -20, and some may be of interest to your research.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    North fleet Simson!? Awesome! I really like the stock on the 24, that straight grained walnut almost gives the impression of elm, I wonder if it’s American walnut?

  9. #19
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    3,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    North fleet Simson!? Awesome!
    I saw that too. What a nice bonus.

    Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    ..the stock on the 24, that straight grained walnut almost gives the impression of elm, I wonder if it’s American walnut?
    Not a wood guy, at least not at that level but pic 2 and 3 really show what I think you mean. I also wondered about where that wood came from. Good stuff.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    5,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    North fleet Simson!? Awesome! I really like the stock on the 24, that straight grained walnut almost gives the impression of elm, I wonder if it’s American walnut?
    Here's a better photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •