Third Party Press

Thread: Ce 43 stock identification

Default Ce 43 stock identification

Hi all, posting this for a member in a Facebook group. Looks like a beautiful rifle. It's a ce 43 that he says is numbers matching, except for the stock that has a different serial number in the barrel channel. He said the stock is void of all external markings. Just trying to find out a possible maker for the stock. I'm wondering if its a dou since it has no markings at all. It looks like it might have been sanded and had a light coat of varnish put over it. That could be an explanation of missing markings too. Can any of you guys see any tell tale signs of anything based off the photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Itís a Sauer stock, small takedown disc and characteristic bolt cutout. You can also see remnants of the small eagle H after it was sanded.

The coolest part is that it was a script font receiver and then when the date was remarked they used block style font. You see a lot of restamped/rolled JP Sauers, their finishing methods removed most of the as manufactured roll markings. First I have personally seen like that. It could also be the direct opposite in that the script font of the CE is the replacement, like you see on script font Ce44’s.

*** how off is the stock serial? Completely different or just one number or something? Also this is a good bit earlier than you usually see stamped TG’s at Sauer.*****
    Last edited by flynaked; 01-07-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    The coolest part is that it was a script font receiver and then when the date was remarked they used block style font. You see a lot of restamped/rolled JP Sauers, their finishing methods removed most of the as manufactured roll markings. First I have personally seen like that. It could also be the direct opposite in that the script font of the CE is the replacement, like you see on script font Ce44ís.

*** how off is the stock serial? Completely different or just one number or something? Also this is a good bit earlier than you usually see stamped TGís at Sauer.*****
    I double checked with him and I'm waiting on a response. I'm pretty sure though that it is completely off.

Probably just an ironic chance that someone stuck a Sauer stock on it then. The rifle has other issues as well so itís not really that big a deal at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Probably just an ironic chance that someone stuck a Sauer stock on it then. The rifle has other issues as well so itís not really that big a deal at this point.
    What other issues do you see?

Besides the apparent m/m stock and the sanding job as you stated, there has been some steel wool/scotch brite work on the bolt I do believe, doesnít look like normal wearing imho, there and the stock hardware, not that it really matters though. The next big issue is the unumbered bands are incorrect, Sauer numbered their bands till the cessation of production, the front band also appears to be 135 proofed. All these factors are really just a mute point, as once a stock is lost on a K98 there isnít near the collector interest, it can still be enjoyed and learned from for what it is though, and as previously mentioned I personally find the features I noted earlier to be pretty interesting.