Third Party Press

Help ID bayonet

runner

Just picked up this bayonet. I am guessing it is a prewar WWll commercial of some type? It has a cloth inserted into the slot, where branch of service color wool was often inserted for walking out dress.

Any information on the maker and time frame of production would be appreciated. I am thinking this blade was originally in the white?

thanks,

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 23
What you have is a German S84/98 naS. If there are no Imperial date or acceptance stamps on the blade spine or side of pommel, then it was likely a private-purchase item...but one used in the field, rather than a strictly extraseitengewehr for off-duty wear.

What you have is a German S84/98 naS. If there are no Imperial date or acceptance stamps on the blade spine or side of pommel, then it was likely a private-purchase item...but one used in the field, rather than a strictly extraseitengewehr for off-duty wear.

Thank you for the reply.
So is this WWi period? Am I correct that the blade would have been in the white?

Certainly a S84/98nAS as mentioned PWCOSol, the pommel looks like there are 2 proofs letter under crown, as mentioned You should look at spine of blade near crossguard for other marking, the blade is discoulored by rust, should be gently clean, with oil and 000 steelwool, without scratch. The maker is Gebr.Heller Marienthal who produced in both wars S84/98 bayonets.Timeframe is 1915-17.In channel it looks more like cleaning lap as a NCO dress decoration. b.r.Andy

I do not see where anyone said yes or no to if this bayonet was finished in the white. I believe they were finished in the white. I have seen one or two that were blued but, I think the blued ones were done after original production. I have a scabbard that might be for this bayonet if you need one. I can post a pic of it on your post if interested.
The piece of material in the mortise looks like a piece of cleaning rag. I leave a lightly oiled cleaning patch in the slot of my S84/98 III bayonets. It keeps crap out of there and helps with rust on the rusty ones.

G.

Thank you for the reply.
So is this WWi period? Am I correct that the blade would have been in the white?

Hi
It has an acceptance stamp on the pommel, so it´s not private purchase.
It should have another acceptence on the spine of the blade.
All German SG 84/98 neuer Art and all standard German WW1 bayos are finished in the white, with the exception of the Ersatzbayonets. They have lacquered handles.
The steel scabbards are blued, with the exception of the Ersatzbayonets, there scabbards were lacquered.
Any German SG 84/98 n.A. steel scabbard will fit this bayonet.
If you clean it, do not use any abrasive metal cleaning.

Regards

Attachments

• 84_98_Säge1.jpg
    84_98_Säge1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 13

Military Rifle Journal
Back