Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on byf 44

Default Questions on byf 44

I have owned this rifle for years, just noticed that it has SN on trigger guard and upper band, which I believe is incorrect for an i block rifle in 1944.
    This has made me question the validity of the entire rifle. I would appreciate others opinions on the correctness of this one.

thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

more photos

For the "i" block, I would expect bands, and floor plate to be numbered, but not the trigger guard..... Late K block is when bands and floor plate were unnumbered.... The numbers in the wood are mysterious, yet look German... hmmm.
    Last edited by Bob in OHIO; 01-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    For the "i" block, I would expect bands, and floor plate to be numbered, but not the trigger guard..... Late K block is when bands and floor plate were unnumbered.... The numbers in the wood are mysterious, yet look German... hmmm.
    Bob, are you comfortable with the font of the numbers on the trigger guard? They look ok to me, but I focus more on prewar stuff.

Here's a link to a correctly numbered i block for comparison.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....byf-44-i-block
    WTB: Rough milled, blued, unnumbered floor plate as found on late MO rifles. Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    Bob, are you comfortable with the font of the numbers on the trigger guard? They look ok to me, but I focus more on prewar stuff.
    Yes, font seems good, but the numbering of the TG and wood (exterior) suggests something has happened. Is the barrel channel numbered inside... matched? Depot work would often number the wood's exterior, but this is a late '44 rifle and location of those numbers seems misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    Yes, font seems good, but the numbering of the TG and wood (exterior) suggests something has happened. Is the barrel channel numbered inside... matched? Depot work would often number the wood's exterior, but this is a late '44 rifle and location of those numbers seems misplaced.
    Bringing this one back up, the stock and hand guard are both numbered internally. Also found, hh and a star over 1 in the sling cut out on the stock. Also a large green "7" stamped in ink in the barrel channel. Buttplate also has 7121. SO if I am correct, the SN on the trigger guard, buttplate, and internally and externally on the stock are all "incorrect", but to my eye look like correct Mauser font. Also all the parts that should be numbered, are correctly numbered. Is there a reasonable explanation for the extra sn's, or just the work of postwar "enhancement". I could surmise that the sn on the trigger guard is just an error, and should have been placed on the floor plate, but what of the stock numbers? I am thinning my collection, and had this one marked as a keeper, but now I am not so sure.

Comments appreciated.

Stock numbering

Numbers in the channel are fine.... not a fan of the blued, numbered BP though

Post war West German numbers added to a matching gun. Ive seen it before on reworks, even a high turret stock. Fonts look good because fonts in 1950 were the same as WW2. Gun is good, just post war used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.