Third Party Press

Interesting '42 bcd

Enfields

Good day guys, what do you think about this rifle at hand, seller wants $1600 for it so i am very tempted to pick it up. It will be my first so i am unsure on it's originality;

IMG_2700.jpg

I will be posting more photos when i am given higher resolution pictures of the markings and it stripped apart. Apparently it is a Gustloff Werk Weimar that's not a Russian capture, supposedly Barrel, Action, Bolt & Sling match.

Good day guys, what do you think about this rifle at hand, seller wants $1600 for it so i am very tempted to pick it up. It will be my first so i am unsure on it's originality;

View attachment 195655

I will be posting more photos when i am given higher resolution pictures of the markings and it stripped apart. Apparently it is a Gustloff Werk Weimar that's not a Russian capture, supposedly Barrel, Action, Bolt & Sling match.

More pics would certainly help but if it's a non-RC rig in full ORIGINAL (important) German trim, un-bubba'd with a decent-VG bore i would pick it up. The stock not matching hurts the value quite a bit but honest German K98s are very hard to come by down here. $1600 isn't cheap but I could sell my bolt M/M 1937 rig tomorrow and get close to $2k for it. I'm 99% sure slings weren't numbered to rifles.

Cheers
Chris

More pics would certainly help but if it's a non-RC rig in full ORIGINAL (important) German trim, un-bubba'd with a decent-VG bore i would pick it up. The stock not matching hurts the value quite a bit but honest German K98s are very hard to come by down here. $1600 isn't cheap but I could sell my bolt M/M 1937 rig tomorrow and get close to $2k for it. I'm 99% sure slings weren't numbered to rifles.

Cheers
Chris

Good to meet another Chris on here, like pottery. Will do once i get the photos but the guy is very slow at emailing back. I am also waiting for photos on the bore / rifling which is very important to me as i will be shooting it as i just got into reloading so I'll be cranking out rounds.

Good point about the sling, i also thought the exact same thing. I'll be asking for detailed photos about that as well.

+ Plus to mention, for one reason or another the bcd42 is a tough find if original and non-capture status. Any 1942 dated original k98 for that matter. Just not seen as much in "the wild".

Well, the seller still has not replied to me even when $1600 is on the line. I have another rifle i got sent by another guy which he wants to sell, except he wants $2000... I'm thinking it's not worth more than $1200

Not sure if i should create a new thread but here is the new rifle, when i get more photos from the other seller that are actually clear I'll upload them.

What you guys think?

https://imgur.com/a/YLWeClu

Well, the seller still has not replied to me even when $1600 is on the line. I have another rifle i got sent by another guy which he wants to sell, except he wants $2000... I'm thinking it's not worth more than $1200

Not sure if i should create a new thread but here is the new rifle, when i get more photos from the other seller that are actually clear I'll upload them.

What you guys think?

RC stock with early/pre-war bands, M/M floor plate (guessing the bolt is too?) and it may be the light but that bluing doesn't look great..the giveaway "X" isn't on the receiver or barrel to denote an RC but it kinda looks like one- the rear sight shouldn't be blued. Is the butt plate blued too? Both are definitely post-war. In our market I wouldn't pay any more than $1K for it- and that's if it 's a non-RC that has a great bore for a shooter. Someone probably will, though.

RC stock with early/pre-war bands, M/M floor plate (guessing the bolt is too?) and it may be the light but that bluing doesn't look great..the giveaway "X" isn't on the receiver or barrel to denote an RC but it kinda looks like one- the rear sight shouldn't be blued. Is the butt plate blued too? Both are definitely post-war. In our market I wouldn't pay any more than $1K for it- and that's if it has a great bore for a shooter. Someone probably will, though.

Thanks mate, i hate to be a pain posting all these rifles but i don't want to get swindled especially when it's over $1000 and don't trust myself enough to make the call. Interesting to note though he did mention it wasn't a RC and that it is all matching numbers (other than bolt of course which is all matching to itself he claims).

I've sent off another email requesting more pictures, pictures inside the stock, and any pictures of anything that's numbered.

What you guys think?

I ended up getting more pictures of the DOU 1943, i might have made him slightly agitated for saying the stock might be RC (It's a rifle in his collection he is willing to sell) which he claims there is absolutely zero X marks and that the barrel/chamber match the stock, floor plate is mismatched witch he said so himself.

Not sure what to do as of now or what to offer; https://imgur.com/a/DZdN8HP

I know where that dou 43 is (Maroochydore)... :) It IS an RC, 100% (not all RC's have the X mark - I've owned more than 14 like this, many with NO RC X, some with a number at the woodline, some not even reblued).

$1600 is a little high for an RC even here, but they used to go $800 to $900 a couple years ago and are drying up to nil available, so... up to you. Claremont sells HORRIBLE condition ones for $900 now.

Having seen that one in the flesh, it's not that bad.

I know where that dou 43 is (Maroochydore)... :) It IS an RC, 100% (not all RC's have the X mark - I've owned more than 14 like this, many with NO RC X, some with a number at the woodline, some not even reblued).

$1600 is a little high for an RC even here, but they used to go $800 to $900 a couple years ago and are drying up to nil available, so... up to you. Claremont sells HORRIBLE condition ones for $900 now.

Having seen that one in the flesh, it's not that bad.

Thanks very much mate. Also definitely in Queensland! The guy with the DOU 43 originally wanted $2000, what do you think a good starting offer would be for the DOU which you say is an RC.

https://imgur.com/a/DZdN8HP

Military Rifle Journal
Back