Third Party Press

Kar 98a

Batdad88

Greetings all,

I've had my eye on a sadly bubba stock chop but mostly (was in a somewhat hurry last time i was in) matching Kar 98a. It's an Erfurt 1918/20. Is there any hope to finding a stock for this or should I let it sit in the pawn shop? It is priced at $400 but I'm certain it can be talked down as it's been there for at least half a year.

Last edited:
A decent stock, hand guard, and bands will cost you as much as the rifle itself. That is, if you can even find such a stock set.

Agreed, much more difficult to find 98a parts, that’s not to say it’s impossible I’ve sold 3-4 band sets in the last year to guys doing just this thing, but they are hard to find and I’m all out at the moment. Another thing with 98a’s is the HG’s are very much hand fit so unless you find a complete stock set you may have some difficulty mating those up. There also could be a big difference in whether or not this project is really worth while. Is the stock simply duffle cut and missing the forend or is it cut at or behind the rear band and rounded? In my opinion duffle cut only projects are far more worth while, but if the stock is sanded at all or anything like that then I wouldn’t bother.

The stock appeared to be sanded with no hand guard, like a scout rifle. It wasn't D/T'd as far as I could tell.

Newbie on this forum, but own more high end knives than a sane man should possess. If it looks like something you want to own, and then wait for furniture to come along later, offer them $300. They’ll counter with $375/$350. You counter with $325, and be ready to walk if they refuse that. But leave your phone number in case they reconsider. If it’s sat that long, you should get it. Good luck with your situation.

A 98a with a property mark is not going to be worth much in the first place, unless some really cool unit mark, maybe police related, with a bad stock, its a hunting rifle or parts donor.

Military Rifle Journal
Back