Third Party Press

Thread: German Butcher Bayonet WW1

Default German Butcher Bayonet WW1

Hello. I am new to this forum and to this world of bayonets and i need some help from you. I've recently bought a german butcher bayonet WW1 F. Koeller & Co. Chligs Solingen.I want to ask you 5 things:
    1)The seller told me that he cleaned the wooden grips from the handle and the screws with a rotative brush and that's why they look so clean and i want to know from you if the screws and the wooden grips are the original one(Anyway i think they are because they still look old)
    2)I want to know if it is rare
    3)I want to know if it was used for killing people in war
    4)I want to know the approximatively price of it(It doesn't have scabbard..)
    5)Your final opinion of this piece.
    Thanks for the time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a World War 1 bayonet used in the first world war by the German Imperial Army and I don't think those screws are original. And yes the grips have been cleaned they almost look like they've been bleached by a chemical or something.

And as for killing its a bayonet which is its prime purpose to kill a close-range and to be used as a tool. Which in the early days of World War 1 alot of officers thought soldiers were like mobile artillery. To soften the enemy up with rifle fire from long-range and then charged across the battlefield and finish them off with bayonets. Which sounds all fine and great during the Napoleonic era. But machine guns, explosive artillery shells, changed all that.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    It is a World War 1 bayonet used in the first world war by the German Imperial Army and I don't think those screws are original. And yes the grips have been cleaned they almost look like they've been bleached by a chemical or something.

And as for killing its a bayonet which is its prime purpose to kill a close-range and to be used as a tool. Which in the early days of World War 1 alot of officers thought soldiers were like mobile artillery. To soften the enemy up with rifle fire from long-range and then charged across the battlefield and finish them off with bayonets. Which sounds all fine and great during the Napoleonic era. But machine guns, explosive artillery shells, changed all that.
    Ty for response but i want an answer for the questions.1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post

And also are the grips original? the wooden grips

I just gave you an answer about on everything. Especially question 3 it's a bayonet it's designed for killing. A piece like this with no scabbard, with clean grips, not original screws would barely bring $60 here in the United States.

I also noticed the blade has some heavily pitted areas. Would not surprise me if this piece was a dug-up type item that was cleaned up to look better.

But to say it was used in combat because there's a mark on the blade or a gash in the steel like it struck something. Is hard to determine, millions of these blades were made. So to find one that was actually used in combat, that actually killed somebody is tough to determine. Those marks could have been made by anything. Could have been used by hitting somebody or could have been used by someone in a garden in post-war time.
    Last edited by Warrior1354; 01-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

german S98/05nA in bad condition on bad light pictures, outside and wout flash it should be taken photos
    1. wrong wood and wrong screws? maybe countersunk are wrong way attached?
    2. no way
    3. wrong question, is not possible to get a history of the piece
    4. 30USD
    5. uninteresting piece, no parts as flashguard, origin wood grips and screws, only locking bolt could be used as replacement when movable

Just got around to reading this one. I know it was not meant to be humorous, but I got a laugh out of it. You did a fine job of answering Warrior but was just not giving what was needed. I love your reply AndyB straight forward and brutal. Seems to be what was needed .lol
    To me it looks like the bayonet was buried for awhile , dug up and attacked with a wire wheel brush.
    Last edited by grimlin13; 01-13-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    " Hey, I got it from a long time dealer in Third Reich militaria years ago, so you know it`s real." Over heard comment at a table.

Its fine, i hope the collector liked my answers too,haha. I preffer true for answers, as here is nothing more to made, its a relic piece that was unfortunally wrongly repaired.
    Better spend more money for real piece, of which S98/05 is no problem to find.