Third Party Press

K98k with SEM Saddle mount ("objective mount")

I have even mentioned that in my starting posts that it has 26 proofs on the receiver. Didn't you read it? Anyway, does this distinctively mean it is an AR41 rifle?

Flynaked, noone would scrub the receiver markings that ugly and then fully professionally add perfectly seated and screw slot aligned bases. This makes no sense. The bases were installed prior to the receiver being scrubbed.

Yes it’s a Borsigwalde, not necessarily 1941, I was presuming that based on the fact that it had a random AR prefix in the dovetail serials, this may not be true though. 1941 is the last year that 3x e26 RR inspections would have been used, could be all the way back to a 1939 Borsigwalde though. Due to the high location and spacing of these e26’s it is without a doubt a Borsigwalde, if it were a BLM the last year for that would be 1938 and they are always proofed closer to the wood line of which yours is not, it would also have a process number stamped on the lower forward receiver ring if it were a BLM.

Your presumption that only one smith would have done all of the work on a particular rifle IF it indeed were a sporter is not necessarily true. Most smiths had specialized jobs and only completed one specific component of a given rifle, ie stock maker, actioner etc. Please explore for yourself the term coined in Suhl that alludes to this specific kind of production, “Rucksack-Büchsenmacher”.

Last edited:
Please explain this if they were put on before hand. The bluing is removed to prep the solder joint to the receiver since you cannot solder to a blued surface, that bluing removal seems to be clearly done over a pitted surface sir. Is that how you see it in hand too, or maybe just a light reflection?

Attachments

• E7BB1FA8-DACF-4BC1-B062-36092F43E5E2.jpg
    E7BB1FA8-DACF-4BC1-B062-36092F43E5E2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 39
Please explain this if they were put on before hand. The bluing is removed to prep the solder joint to the receiver since you cannot solder to a blued surface, that bluing removal seems to be clearly done over a pitted surface sir. Is that how you see it in hand too, or maybe just a light reflection?
This is rust pittings. It is not covered by the base nor do the pittings go under the base. So I am not sure what you want to say with that?

Just for reference a recycled military action commercially built into a sporter during the war.

Attachments

• 946FE059-C8F7-4BE8-8F64-7DD59E52D41D.jpg
    946FE059-C8F7-4BE8-8F64-7DD59E52D41D.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 9499EA82-4E8C-4FA6-9CDA-9D672ED50BD9.jpg
    9499EA82-4E8C-4FA6-9CDA-9D672ED50BD9.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 34
This is rust pittings. It is not covered by the base nor do the pittings go under the base. So I am not sure what you want to say with that?

I’m saying it appears to have had the bluing removed filed/sanded away over pitting. Ie, the pitting looks like it was there when it had the mounts added. Unless someone was removing rust down at this joint, it just appears to be where the receiver was prepared for soldering.

Is this a barrel indexing line? Looks to be from this picture, but still hard to tell.

Attachments

• 9C92FB80-095F-42F1-8A27-58596453529F.jpg
    9C92FB80-095F-42F1-8A27-58596453529F.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 30
I have even mentioned that in my starting posts that it has 26 proofs on the receiver. Didn't you read it? Anyway, does this distinctively mean it is an AR41 rifle?

Flynaked, noone would scrub the receiver markings that ugly and then fully professionally add perfectly seated and screw slot aligned bases. This makes no sense. The bases were installed prior to the receiver being scrubbed.

Dave, thanks for pointing out the sighting line on your bases. The other SEM mounted K98k rifles you are aware of, do they have this slot too? And additionally, your rear scope base is serialized facing towards the front. Does this mean it does NOT have the serial number on bottom of the catch/release as on mine? That would then be another difference. Have you ever removed the dovetailed part of the front scope and compared the serial number there? And would you be able to measure the front dovetailed part in height, width and length (on bottom) so I can compare it with mine? Your rifle is a 1938 rifle, right? Maybe we now really have found the two variants (Army and SS).

I am not sure what the Receiver Code and Year are on Your Rifle but IMHO I do not believe the AR on underside of Base has anything to do with Rifles Code. The other Rifle which there are only 2 have the same style Rear Base as My 2 Rifles . Neither of mine have a Rifle Serial Number located were Yours is located . The 2 others I know of are built on Sauer Rifle both CE coded Guns . I am Unsure were these Rear Bases are Numbered .

As for Your comment about whether or not we have found the two Variants I can say with almost 100% certainty Your Rifle in NOT Army . You will ask Why could it not be . This is Simple , the Front Saddle is Not Correct Style Nor is the Rear Base or Rings Correct when You compare them to the Rifle in which we know is an Army Objective Mount/SEM Sniper , Thanks to Wolfgang foresight .

IMO it is more likely that the different Base could be for one of the 2 other Scope Types that were known to be used on these SS Objective/SEM Rifles and the other possibilities for why Your Rear Base lacks the Center Troth , Different Assembly Place/Armorer or even Time Period .

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back