Third Party Press

Mobilization bayonet?

brick26

I have a chance to purchase this bayonet, but need opinions first.

Thank you

xqYFW0T.jpg

1SfeyTG.jpg

The bayonet looks like a correct Wz.29 mobilisation version of Perkun, possible the blueing was done by germans or by others. b.r.Andy

mobilization bayonet

Version with date 1939 commonly call "mobilization model" by collectors , have absolutely nothing to do with mobilization in August 1939, this is of the new marking system introduced 1939 year. I am very sorry i only speak a little English

Cool. I have a similar Radom made bayonet with a 38 date Hörster scabbard that interestingly enough was never numbered. Is your scabbard numbered?

7123a4190d13d65e9225be0d468b4d33.jpg

53a6bfd35daac0934ecaed1925e50d95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured it was just a depot spare scabbard added to the bayonet when reworked, I doubt it was sent to Radom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waffenmeister replacement spare scabbard could be the Hoerster wout serials, some S84/98 bayonets were reported on polish Wz28 bayonets, is hard to confirm that was long time used, as by refurbishment i assume would be serialed to the bayonet as normally. b.r.Andy

Did Horster provide scabbards for these bayonets if they were used by German forces?

There are two groups of Polish bayonets. The first were those which were issued to Polish forces and captured by German forces in the field. The others were were taken from stocks stored or still on the production line in the manufacturing plant(s). Similar to what happened with the Czech Vz24 bayonets, many of the captured bayonets were issued to German forces and subsequently refurbished (Wz22, 24, 27, & 28). The last pattern (Wz28) was produced in two groups. The first in the early 1930s and then late production in 1939. These bayonets had muzzle rings. Since many of the latter group never got issued, the Germans refurbished them in the FB Radom factory (maybe others). Modifications included removal of the muzzle ring, changes to the Polish scabbard, and applying a blued finish to both components. They can be found with a E/WaA77 stamped both on the blade spine and just under the German pattern throat retaining screw on the side of the scabbard. Examples are known with KM property markings as well. This likely coincides with a small number of early, German manufactured "no-letter bloc" P35(p) VIS pistols, which went to the KM as well. Since the majority of Polish bayonets came from the field, the degree of refurbishment (if at all) varies quite a bit. Such bayonets are often found with S84/98 T3 scabbards. This was likely not something "official" but just an expedient for a ex-Polish bayonet requiring a scabbard.

Last edited:
I believe the Wz.28 was made in period 1929-39 fluently with some changes post 1933, as no flashguard was used by some collectors was it designated as Wz.29. Post this 1933 is in Poland changed the designation to Wz.27 for non ringed bayonets (Wz22.24.25.27) and Wz.29 for bayonets with barell ring (Wz28,29) The 1939 was different designated and so exist by some collectors called a mobilisation version, anyway its too mentioned in polish literature by Tomas Pietrzak too, who spoke about 4 types of marking.
I assume the german changes was done in field or by divisional works. On WaA77 proofed bayonets is more real the end production was done by Radom as E/77 was assigned to this plant.Majority of them doesnt have a polish rifle serial number on crossguard. b.r.Andy

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back