Third Party Press

Fixing Magazine Rust

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
Have a G43 AYE Magazine that has some light rust where the enamel has worn off. I'd like to remove it but am concerned by doing so I risk removing the enamel. Anyone attempted this before? Or, should I just leave it alone? Opinions...?

What could I do to at least inhibit the magazine from rusting further?

Attachments

• G43AYE_81_resized.jpg
    G43AYE_81_resized.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 34
  • G43AYE_80_resized.jpg
    G43AYE_80_resized.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 44
  • G43AYE_82_resized.jpg
    G43AYE_82_resized.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 31
Have a G43 AYE Magazine that has some light rust where the enamel has worn off. I'd like to remove it but am concerned by doing so I risk removing the enamel. Anyone attempted this before? Or, should I just leave it alone? Opinions...?

What could I do to at least inhibit the magazine from rusting further?

I'd leave it alone, maybe just a little coat of gun oil.

I'd oil it and see if it's that light it just wipes off or oil and brush it with a toothbrush and see if that shifts it.You could just leave it if it's dead rust.

I saw people discussing boiling and this electro method. I was wondering what it did to the finish of magazines. Has anyone tried these methods?

A guy named Andy posted this in 2006 on another forum:

A really good way to pull off rust is:
5 gal. plastic bucket of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
A piece of steel sheet metal or better yet a piece of stainless sheet.
Battery charger either automotive or one you steal from your kids toys, 9 or 12volt.
A length of heavy wire and a 2x2 long enough to go across the top of the bucket.
Clamp the piece of sheet steel to the side of the plastic bucket. I at first used banding taken from engine block skids but found they did not last long and now use a strip taken fron old stainless stove pipe and it looks like it will last forever. Suspend your rusty part with the heavy wire in the water. Looping the wire over your 2x2 to keep the rusty part off the bottom of the bucket. Hook the negative clamp to the wire suspending the part and the positive to the sacrificial steel sheet. Plug in the charger and in a few minutes you will observe very small bubbles coming off your rusty part. The effect is somewhat directional so the rusty part will have to be turned around to face the positive sheet after some hours.

I have used this for 2 sets of lathe change gears, a set of index plates, machine parts, lathe tool holders, etc. After perhaps 24hrs. parts will have a thin dull black residue which comes right off in hot water with your thumb or a rag. Only problem I've had was having rust pulled out from under the casehardening on some screews for my Hendy lathe.

This process I was told is what the Smithsonian uses. I have do idea what is really happening in the bucket and when I ask my smart kids all I get is a dull stare but it really does work well. Try it-you will like it.

Supposedly boiling hardens the rust? Hopefully someone here has experience with these methods.

I saw people discussing boiling and this electro method. I was wondering what it did to the finish of magazines. Has anyone tried these methods?

It's called electrolysis. I have used it to clean car, motorcycle & tractor parts. It will clean the item down to the steel. It will also remove grease & paint. I have never tried cleaning a blued gun part but I would expect it to remove the bluing also.

nirvana is exactly right.

I'm new here, but have collected guns since the 1960's. (Yes I am that old). Monkeying with old/antique arms to make them better usually ends up making them worse. A little oil and rubbing with a rag or patch is all that should be done.

I would soak it Kroil Oil for several days, in a plastic bag. Keep an eye on it, I have never seen it remove paint but this specific paint, I have not tried it on. A soft toothbrush may help but keep the rust particles from building up and becoming an abrasive. When done, coat it with Rust Inhibiting Grease/RIG. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works.

I've used electrolysis many times...a great method for removing rust, but as others have said it always removes the paint.

I don't have Kroil, but I do have Safari Charlie Gun Lube which claims it removes and prevents rust, among other things. Going to slap some on and let it sit for a couple days, will apply more lube throughout process. It should help loosen the rust up and at least prevent it from progressing any further.

If this doesn't work I'll order the blue wonder and try that.

Attachments

• G43AYE_83_resized.jpg
    G43AYE_83_resized.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • G43AYE_84_resized.jpg
    G43AYE_84_resized.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2
If it were mine; I would use a cotton ball, RIG grease mixed with Hoppes clear gun oil and wipe gently. That process will remove some (maybe all-but probably not) of that type of light surface rust. I wouldn’t get aggressive with it as that paint will come off. So, go carefully.

I would rather have it look like the way it is than have the paint come off. Once the damage is done you can’t re-do it.

Your mag looks good, just needs to be wiped down with some oil.

Military Rifle Journal
Back