Third Party Press

Bnz 43

Finzel74

While roaming around the last gun show I came across a bnz 43 Mauser. Upon looking it over I noticed it has a dot 13 barrel in a shield and a full krieg Walnut stock. Sorry I didn't get any pictures . Can any one tell me if this is a late war rifle built with a previously rejected receiver ? Or if it's just a rifle that was assembled from parts. Thanks

Impossible to say from just the info you give. We’d need a serial range at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to lay odds and bet money there would be about a 1/99 chance of the former and a 99/1 chance of the latter.

I will try to get some pictures this coming weekend . Are there known bnz rifles with dot13 barrels?

Yes, there are legit Steyr 1944 production rifles with dot marked barrels. So with that I can see a scenario where it could happen. But I’m betting hambone is more right.

Yes, several, the problem is they are all 1944 production or SS rifles assembled in 1944. SDP was probably the largest maker of barrels outside of Mauser and Brno, and for sure the strongest supplier to the ordnance system. SDP almost always used their own barrels, almost always, the only exception is when the US bombed them in early 1944. It disrupted their barrel production and assembly significantly, so they had to buy barrels from Brno, which they had a relationship with (as occupied countries and industrial concerns of significance, the Reichswerke/state owned holding company "bought" both before the war. By 1944 this relationship was over, but they remained close with some of the same big shots, - both were generally state owned, such as their is a distinction between state owned and "private" owned in NS Germany - there is almost no significant difference...)

This was the only known exception for Brno supplying another assembler other than Brno II (SDP had received help from Brno earlier, when they were both owned by the Reichswerke, stocks in particular), people are skeptical of your report because it is very uncommon to find dot barrels on anything other than Brno production. They weren't big on sharing.

In this case, a bnz/43 with a dot/13 barrel, it better be SS contract to be legit. Next to impossible for this to be right unless this rifle was assembled in 1944.

I will try to get some pictures this coming weekend . Are there known bnz rifles with dot13 barrels?

Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_194532141.jpg
    IMG_20190119_194532141.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190119_194402743.jpg
    IMG_20190119_194402743.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20190119_194254815.jpg
    IMG_20190119_194254815.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 77
Yes, SS contract but it should not have a Kriegsmodell stock on it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back