Third Party Press

“Black Widow” Luger . . . .

JimF

Gentlemen . . .

How common, would you say, is a “byf/41” P’08 Luger with WOOD grips?

Is it true that the more common, Bakelite grips have threaded receptacles inside to “store” the grip screws when disassembly is undertaken?

Am I correct in thinking the Mauser Oberndorf code “42” pre-dates the “byf” code?
If so, can you tell me about WHEN the “byf” code took over?

Thanks-a-bunch! —Jim

I think byf41 with wood grips is the most common... I haven't studied these to the extent of others but, from what I recall certain blocks are accepted with black grips.
Not sure if the change over was concrete. Lots of times there are small window of crossover with these type of things till all the wood grips were exhausted.

Search this forum for examples and there was just a byf41 sold here on the trader with wood grips and the photos are still there.

I'm sure there are more than twice as many black widows now than were ever made back then....

Last edited:
. . . . .I'm sure there are more than twice as many black widows now than were ever made back then....

I’m thanking you, Mauser99 . . . .

I’ve found the same to be true of “Pre-war Model 70 Winchester Super Grades” . . . .there are now more out there than ever left New Haven! —Jim

Prior to 1939 the Mauser code was S/42. After that it went to just 42. Then in 1941, it became byf until the end of P.08 production in 1942.

Wood grips are very common. There doesnt seem to be a set transition between wood and bakelite. There was pretty much a mixture of the two being used.

black widow question

from my research the experts say that 10% of production received black plastic grips starting in the BYF 41 "O" block and continuing on till the end of the contract. And since the grips have been reproduced and the "black widows" command a 20% - 30% premium to some folks, there are now more than ever. Do your research. They're like 1969 Camaro Z/28's, production has doubled since 1969 !

from my research the experts say that 10% of production received black plastic grips starting in the BYF 41 "O" block and continuing on till the end of the contract. . . . . .

Thanks Bossman . . . . .

So I guess I’m OK with my wood grip, “g” block, 41/byf . . . .yes?

Thanks Bossman . . . . .

So I guess I’m OK with my wood grip, “g” block, 41/byf . . . .yes?

Probably not, there are no g blocks in 41. They continued from the “o” block of 1940 and went all the way to z, then made it back to “b” before 1942 production. I bet you have a different letter block, but wood grip 41 Lugers are common. Many have unnumbered grips with only 655 or 135 inspections, whichever is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not, there are no g blocks in 41. . . . . .

OK then . . . .

I guess what I took for a “g”, is really a “q”. (Is there a chart somewhere showing the complete alphabet? I sometimes have a problem differentiating between an “a” and an “o” also.)

The inside of the grips are stamped “eagle/655”. There is no serial number present.

I’m thanking you also . . . .and still learning! —Jim

That sounds more like it! It’s a common mistake, there are some suffix charts out there I have seen but I don’t know where it was. Grip waffenamt sounds right, my x block has the same grips. My w block is a black widow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not, there are no g blocks in 41. They continued from the “o” block of 1940 and went all the way to z, then made it back to “b” before 1942 production. I bet you have a different letter block, but wood grip 41 Lugers are common. Many have unnumbered grips with only 655 or 135 inspections, whichever is appropriate.

Are you saying all byf 41s have a letter block serial?

I've got a byf 41 P.08, black grips, with a no letter block serial.

Are you saying all byf 41s have a letter block serial?

I've got a byf 41 P.08, black grips, with a no letter block serial.

They did do that in K98k production (aa, bb, cc,.....). The wood grip Lugers are Brown Recluse, and of course Black Widows with the black grips. :rofl:

Military Rifle Journal
Back