Third Party Press

Red Flags (RF)

Bob in OHIO

Okay, pics are from a single rifle currently on GB (starting at $3K), that demonstrates some obvious and less obvious post-war flaws.

I post this for the newer collectors who are trying to come up to speed.

1) The classic backwards recoil bolt, with the spanner nut on the left. The Germans never made this mistake... Not a deal breaker as it can be flipped around, but still a RF that its been played with.

2) So, the wood certainly has been messed with... has a sheen, smoothness suggesting sanding, and of course there's been something applied over the wood. Note, the take down disk has varnish over top, and the cut out for the sling is the same color as the stock. This area is often closer to raw wood as if there had been a sling there, it would have protected the wood from oxidizing. Visible goop applied to the sling cut out (and in the barrel channel is a big RF). Of course there is slight rounding to the wood edges, but that is hard to see if you haven't seen good guns.

3) Hand guard does not perfectly align with the stock (near the rear band). On rare occasion, the wood may shrink and there may be a small amount of play to create a slight misalignment because the HG has slid..... but expect there to be perfect alignment on a matched HG & stock.... this one shows another RF. If there is shrinkage (not on this one), you should be able to easily slide the HG a few millimeters and it WILL align correctly.

Attachments

• bad varnish.jpg
    bad varnish.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Bad recoil.jpg
    Bad recoil.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 256
  • bad alignment.jpg
    bad alignment.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 261
When I see that handguard extending out like that I immediately think dufflecut. From that pic I also see that the band has been reblued. It looks more like it's been dunked properly in a blue tank than cold blued (i.e., pimpshined).

That recoil bolt spanner nut will get idiot marks if the proper tool is not used. I've bought perfectly original and nice rifles with that reversed, and no marks on it, but these have always only been on there finger tight.

Okay, pics are from a single rifle currently on GB (starting at $3K), that demonstrates some obvious and less obvious post-war flaws... The classic backwards recoil bolt, with the spanner nut on the left. The Germans never made this mistake... Not a deal breaker as it can be flipped around, but still a RF that its been played with.

I acquired a byf 42 several years back that was obviously unmessed with, but the recoil lug nut is on the left, below. The spanner holes in the nut are clearly untouched. I notice in the representative photos at the beginning of each chapter of Backbone of the Wehrmacht there are many such reversed lugs. These couldn't have happened at the factory?

Attachments

• byf428.jpg
    byf428.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 71
Untouched Attributes

Here are some things I really like to see:

• Raw/ blond wood that is dry inside the barrel channel
  • Bayo lug pin is clearly unmolested (The pin has never been removed)
  • A clean attachment around the hood. No bright metal from on/off of a hood
  • The recoil nut spanner holes untouched (this example has slight deformation of the holes)
  • Unstained wood under the rear band (likely a later feature)
  • Healthy patina on the butt plate
  • Stock cartouche that is lighter than the stock

These pics are from a byf 43....

Attachments

• 2050.i.13.jpg
    2050.i.13.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 2050.i.02.jpg
    2050.i.02.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Bolt.06.jpg
    Bolt.06.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 35
  • II.2050.02.jpg
    II.2050.02.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 33
  • II.2050.06B.jpg
    II.2050.06B.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 35
  • II.2050.07.jpg
    II.2050.07.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2050.i.08.jpg
    2050.i.08.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 38
  • II.2050.03.jpg
    II.2050.03.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 34
When I see that handguard extending out like that I immediately think dufflecut.

I immediately think "too much varnish glopped on the rear end of the handguard, and it will no longer seat properly in the rear sight ferrule".

A duffel cut wouldn't affect the position of the band shoulder on the stock.

Military Rifle Journal
Back