Third Party Press

Help on a 1940 JP Sauer K98

Rak15

Hello all, this Saturday I plan to meet with someone and trade my Smith and Wesson AR15 for his 1940 Sauer Russian capture K98k. A few questions however and just give me your overall opinions. This will be my first K98, wanted one for as long as I can remember. Firstly it is a RC and the waffenampts are peened but no X is present. Second, the trigger guard is clearly from a Gew98. The bore is not shiny but not bad either and rifling is very clear and crisp. Looking for a good shooter and first Mauser to get into collecting (I’m a broke college kid). If y’all don’t mind, what’s your thoughts on the trade? Also the condition on the Mauser? And lastly would you leave the trigger guard as is or put a K98 one on? Thank you so much, just wanting to get into Mausers on the right foot! (I will post pictures)

Attachments

• 05D74378-EDBB-40A9-82E4-C3397FAC364F.jpg
    05D74378-EDBB-40A9-82E4-C3397FAC364F.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 56
  • F53A0CCA-2E8A-4B1F-B86F-185F8047DC24.jpg
    F53A0CCA-2E8A-4B1F-B86F-185F8047DC24.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ADA0FACD-A20F-4DEB-AA6B-51E31276F4AC.jpg
    ADA0FACD-A20F-4DEB-AA6B-51E31276F4AC.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 62
If the rifle is in good shape I'd say it's a decent deal for you. If your AR is a basic S&W M&P Sport, it's not worth much more than about $450, which less than RCs usually go for these days.

If the rifle is in good shape I'd say it's a decent deal for you. If your AR is a basic S&W M&P Sport, it's not worth much more than about $450, which less than RCs usually go for these days.

Thank you for the reply! The rifle looks to be in good shape for being a RC, and to be honest I know the trigger guard is off a G98 but I think that kind of adds an interesting factor to it as well. Would you refinish the stock? And by refinish I mean strip the shellac off.

Do any numbers match on it? With no "X" and peened eagles if anything matches I would say its one of the Baltic captures. Either way if it has a good bore I think it's a fair trade both ways.

I would leave the trigger guard unless you change the stock too. A 1940 147 would have been in a flat buttplate laminate when it left the factory.

Do any numbers match on it? With no "X" and peened eagles if anything matches I would say its one of the Baltic captures. Either way if it has a good bore I think it's a fair trade both ways.

Thank you for replying, I don’t believe the bolt matches but like I said I haven’t gotten a hold of it yet. I agree on thinking it’s a fair trade, wanted a K98 for as long as I can remember!

I would leave the trigger guard unless you change the stock too. A 1940 147 would have been in a flat buttplate laminate when it left the factory.

I may do that actually, I’ve given it thought, if nothing else just to satisfy my OCD :googlie

It is fun tracking down proper parts. I lose money doing that but I like making my mismatches or russian captures more correct

Ya I completely agree. I personally would rather have an AR-15 for the "just in case" if you don't already have one but if you have a backup id say you wouldnt do bad on this deal.

Ya I completely agree. I personally would rather have an AR-15 for the "just in case" if you don't already have one but if you have a backup id say you wouldnt do bad on this deal.

I only have the one AR, but that’s what the trusty ol Glock comes in handy for! I plan to build an M16a3 clone this summer too :biggrin1:

I have pics of a barrelless 147 1940 receiver with duffle cut stock I restored but don't know how to send pictures on here.

Military Rifle Journal
Back