Third Party Press

Imperial Gew98 bayonet lug markings

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Why is it when I come across markings like this I find it interesting.

Attachments

• 20190117_231207.jpg
    20190117_231207.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190117_231229.jpg
    20190117_231229.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190117_231255.jpg
    20190117_231255.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 54
You know I'm actually trying to decipher what these markings are. So it could be subcontractor manufacturers providing parts. Anytime I go to shows I'm constantly digging for parts that I need for projects and a lot of times you can find stuff pretty cheap. Last week I bought a bayonet lug for a kar98a, two stock recoil cross bolts, more G98 safety's, and this bayonet lug for Gew98. Bought it in one lot with the total price that only cost me one Andrew Jackson! 🤣

Difficult to identify this one, - I can't see Jordans clearly, but probably the circled "R8 or RB".

Its common enough, half a dozen or more seen, but no one has a clue to the mfg. To little to go on also. This is the stuff that interests me as well, trying to decipher sub-contractors and suppliers.

Attachments

• DSCN1250.jpg
    DSCN1250.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 34
I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one that's trying to research this I guess we all have a problem like that now don't we!

Anyway I thought the this bayonet lug was neat because not only did it have the Imperial acceptance marking but it had a second crown on it as well. I wonder what that was for. But I think the more of us keep trying to research this topic maybe more information will come out on it in the future

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one that's trying to research this I guess we all have a problem like that now don't we!

Anyway I thought the this bayonet lug was neat because not only did it have the Imperial acceptance marking but it had a second crown on it as well. I wonder what that was for. But I think the more of us keep trying to research this topic maybe more information will come out on it in the future

Are these of interest to you? I have a front sight ramp that comes to mind marked similarly. While not the exact marking it's a circle R. I can go though them all if you want.

Yes me and Clay are trying to find out if all these parts have a connection, we're part collecting nuts believe it or not.

We're able to trace out what parts were manufactured by what companies in firms in k98k production but not so much in Gew98 or kar98 production.

Would you like photos of part acceptance? I checked bayonet lugs and sights the only one marked is Erfurt 1915 2750. I will post photos later, are there any specific parts where these have appeared just so I have some starting points. I also have a ton of barrel bands I just picked up, I can send you the acceptance on those if you want.

Very cool never seen that marking before. But how often due folks look closely at certain parts such as the front sights! My guess would be front sights like this were being supplied by smaller companies. If it was done in WWII why not during WW1. Still it makes you wonder what some of these smaller companies were making prior before the outbreak of war.

I think you're definitely on to something, one thing that supports that theory is Pieper Liege made a whole host of P08 parts for Erfurt the big one being the side plates. Loading tool manufacture was done in a similar fashion.

Very cool never seen that marking before. But how often due folks look closely at certain parts such as the front sights! My guess would be front sights like this were being supplied by smaller companies. If it was done in WWII why not during WW1. Still it makes you wonder what some of these smaller companies were making prior before the outbreak of war.

Military Rifle Journal
Back