Third Party Press

K98k Cleaning rod

Marlowe

Two questions:
Where would the serial number be on a cleaning rod?
If original to the rifle, rifle is a 1939 Sauer bud Sohn?

I don’t remember the length exactly but it is shorter than the barrel length. Did they use the buddy system and put two together to clean the bore??
Thanks!

By 1939 it would be a 12.5" rod. Yes, they used the buddy system. Individual cleaning was done with a personal kit in a can called an RG34 cleaning kit. The serial numbers were generally an 1" to 2" from the patch end and only the last two digits of the serial number were used.

By 1939 it would be a 12.5" rod. Yes, they used the buddy system. Individual cleaning was done with a personal kit in a can called an RG34 cleaning kit. The serial numbers were generally an 1" to 2" from the patch end and only the last two digits of the serial number were used.

Thanks so much. I can’t find any marking on the rod at all. Must be old repro.

Thanks so much. I can’t find any marking on the rod at all. Must be old repro.

The rods made after late 1941 (generally) will not have serial numbers or markings except for subcontractor markings on occasion such as "i". Those are the exception. Generally, the majority of original K98k rods encountered would be unmarked. Whether it is postwar (Norwegian) or repro will be in the details of construction. Beware of cheap repros, they can have improper threads.

Good info Hambone for me too. Read awhile back rods were stamped or marked until 1941. My dad's bringback 1940 Borsigwalde retains the 12 1/2 inch rod but with no marking or stamping. Maybe switched when using the "buddy system" Only flaw I can see in an otherwise all matching rifle.

Good info Hambone for me too. Read awhile back rods were stamped or marked until 1941. My dad's bringback 1940 Borsigwalde retains the 12 1/2 inch rod but with no marking or stamping. Maybe switched when using the "buddy system" Only flaw I can see in an otherwise all matching rifle.

Remfan, if you look closely at period photographs of combat troops you'll see that a good number of K98ks have no rods in them. Those rods got tossed. I've bought basically untouched as brought back vet rifles which had no rods and no evidence of one being in the weapon. It's just extra weight and something to catch in brush and on equipment. I think you would only miss it if you had to stack arms. If you look at period pics of rifle cleaning in the field it is done with the Rg.34, which to this day is one of the best field cleaning kits, copied by the Otis, which was adopted by and is standard with the US military today.

Well it certainly looks period to the rifle. I can understand how the buddy system could be a problem in exchanging rods. So many variables!!!! Thanks for the replies!!

Well it certainly looks period to the rifle. I can understand how the buddy system could be a problem in exchanging rods. So many variables!!!! Thanks for the replies!!

Using two long rods screwed together is a PITA in the field when you can use a Rg.34 pull through chain.

Military Rifle Journal
Back