Third Party Press

Interesting SS Gew. conversion

Great find, congratulations!
Thanks for taking the time to list your observations about this one, and the system of bringing these into spec. It may be common knowledge among regular K98k collectors, but for guys like me its very interesting and informative.

Pat

I agree. This is a really minor reclock. Probably only a thou or 2 taken off the receiver face. I can see both a 0,2 and a 7,91 clocked differently.

Ahh, gotcha, that 0,2 is on every replacement barrel before they are installed from what I understand, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Ahh, gotcha, that 0,2 is on every replacement barrel before they are installed from what I understand, please correct me if I’m wrong.

That's what I've always understood it to mean. I've seen 0,1 and mostly 0,2. Not sure but thought I remembered 0,3 too? Or I'm just hallucinating? That's the amount in mm the chamber is short.

I could totally see a scenario where the 2nd waffenmeister knew or knew of the 1st guy and wouldn't let the rifle leave 'his' shop with 'his' name on it even barely out of spec. If it happens in my Army you KNOW it happened with Nazi fanatics.

Ahh gotcha, I didn’t even realize that’s what that meant to be honest, thanks for clarifying. I definitely agree with the possibility of that scenario, but also in connection that the reclocking is likely due to lug set back, especially if it’s first trip through the depot didn’t have the bolt fitted appropriately to the receiver, or perhaps they decided to lap the lugs on the second depot trip and then of course would have to reset headspace. In any event it’s a cool rifle, and all the fun is in breaking it down into these details. :happy0180:

SS Conversion

Interesting in that there are no military inspection stamps on the barrel.
Super example.

B.

No much else one can say , other than :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There is one attribute of this Rifle that I found intriguing which is also found on my SS SSR . Most would likely say this was done PW but now with Mikes SS Rifle this is 3rd one I have seen and all I will say for now is it has to do with the Butt Plate . Hopefully Mike will post a Pic of this Parts so others can see what I am referring too . :biggrin1:

I’ll take some additional pics this weekend. It has a blued buttplate. I’ve seen other depot blued buttplates before, among other things. I’ve seen blued take down discs too. The barrel without waffenamt inspection is a good detail to notice- most likely an Erma commercially supplied part to the SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool Mike, glad you scored that. That's one of those that you could go a lifetime of collecting K98ks and not find one like that. All I've seen, if matching, have wanked stocks, are thrashed, or some other such glaring defect. Congrats. Needs a pic sticky. :thumbsup:

Great rifle Mike, it’s nice to see such a strong wrist stamp for once.

You mentioned the rifles going to ss2 around ‘41 for the bolt and band upgrade, but have you trended when original conversions made that transition or was it sporadic or depot specific?

..You mentioned the rifles going to ss2 around ‘41 for the bolt and band upgrade, but have you trended when original conversions made that transition or was it sporadic or depot specific?

Great point actually. I also wondered when this might have been in for the second go round. Or first I guess in some cases?

You mentioned the rifles going to ss2 around ‘41 for the bolt and band upgrade, but have you trended when original conversions made that transition or was it sporadic or depot specific?

Not exactly sure I understand the question. The majority of SS Gew conversions were updated, mostly once the Waffenwerkstatt at Dachau was finished, which was 1941. The picture below is of that work IMO, you can see the large number of guns in process in just this photo.

Let me restate something - the timeline for the update seems coincidental, but think about what was going on in the SS. In Feb. 1940, the directive appears in the Heeres Verordnungblatt allowing the SS-VT access to small arms from Army stores. Prior to this, the SS armed all of their own soldiers in the SS-VT with the SS Gew conversions. In 1940, the SS-VT was about 50,000 strong, so you guess how many SS Gew conversions they had on hand for the SS-VT (it had to have been a lot). When the SS-VT comes under the control of the Army for operations, they get new rifles from Army stores. It's my thought that at this time the SS Gew conversion rifles were returned to SS depots, namely the depot at Dachau. Is it possible that the Waffenwerkstatt at Dachau was specifically set up for this event? It seems like it's possible, just a thought. As the SS-VT converted to the Waffen-SS, surely they expected some increased force numbers and repair would have been needed. BUT - remember that the SS used Army dopots for repair work, I'd bet the majority of Waffen-SS weapons repair went to Army depots, but that is a guess. It's known that some normal, Army produced K98k rifles went through the SS2 depot (99% sure that is Dachau) as we have examples of them. Anyway, These returned rifles were then reworked into bent bolt/spring band setup.

My personal feeling is most of the SS Gew rifles were relegated to training units after that. The Army directive specifically excluded replacement units from receiving rifles, so it makes sense (at least to me) that the SS training units were probably the ones that got these bent bolt/band spring rifles. This also may explain why so many of the SS Gew rifles you find are so worn/mismatched? To me rifles used for training take more daily abuse than rifles in combat units. I'm attaching the Army directive, its on P.715 of Vol.2:

241. Dispensing of weapons, ammunition
and Heer equipment, basic material, operating
fluids and cleaning material during deployment
of the Wehrmacht.
For the duration of the special deployment of the Wehrmacht,
weapons, ammunition and Heer equipment, basic material,
operating fluids and cleaning material are to be handed over
to troops and departments of the Wehrmacht without cost
reimbursement, the material gets handed over against a note
document. The same directive applies to the following formations
which are subordinated to the Wehrmacht:
1. the SS-Verfügungstruppe,
2. the SS-Totenkopf-Division and
3. the Polizei-Division.
For the sake of clarity, it should be pointed out that these
formation do not reckon:
The replacement units of the formations mentioned under 1.
to 3., the SS-Totenkopf units, the Polizei-formations (SS-Polizei
reinforcements, reinforced police protection) as well as the other
division of the NSDAP.
Weapons, ammunition and equipment, etc., may be handed
over free of charge to the division of the Reichsarbeitsdienst (Reich
Labour Service) only for the duration of their deployment for the
Wehrmacht.
O.K.H. (Ch H Rüst u. BdE), February 5, 1940
---- B 59 a/g ---- AHA /Fz In (I b).

Attachments

• article-2663635-002C2D1500000258-991_634x396.jpg
    article-2663635-002C2D1500000258-991_634x396.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 6105488_1.jpg
    6105488_1.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 76
Look at all those kar98a carbines. You can tell by the stacking hook.

I'm not so sure that is what you are seeing - the stacking hook on a Kar98a is really close to the bayonet mount. This might be part of the bench or some type of fixture.

I'm not so sure that is what you are seeing - the stacking hook on a Kar98a is really close to the bayonet mount. This might be part of the bench or some type of fixture.
The stocks are sitting in the rack sideways, so yeah it is part of the rack. Shape is wrong anyway.

Military Rifle Journal
Back