Third Party Press

Russian Capture ZF-41 "Sniper" Rifle ("I Want to BELIEVE")

joe6167

Local gun store is selling a ZF-41 "Sniper" rifle.

The rifle itself is obviously a Russian Capture, with a very ratty looking ZF-41 scope, but it has the "Numrich" ZF-41 rail that replaces the rear sight ramp.

The mount on the scope is marked DUV, serial number 23173C, with a 214 Waffenamt

The rifle's receiver is a DUV 42, also with a 214 Waffenamt.

This rail insert is also marked with a 214 Waffenamt.

And of course the rifle has a "unicorn" price. But just because you taped a horn onto a donkey and painted it white, you still don't have a unicorn... ;)

50394914_364963007387829_8064313921630109696_n.jpg
50288821_365006397383490_3359458844097904640_n.jpg
50982562_365005724050224_4477282958293598208_n.jpg
50724767_365006034050193_4287574854124699648_n.jpg

Anyhow, my question is, has a definitive answer to the existence of these "Numrich" rails ever been found? Did the Germans actually create and use such a component during the war?

I know almost nothing about how to authenticate one of these, but from what little I do know, an original would have the stock relieved for the mount.

I know almost nothing about how to authenticate one of these, but from what little I do know, an original would have the stock relieved for the mount.

On the original ZF-41 rifles that I've seen photos of, the ZF-41 rail is part of the entire rear sight base that gets soldered onto the barrel, in place of the standard rear sight base, and requires the cut out in the stock.

Someone, somewhere came up with this "retrofit" component as a simple way of turning a K98 into a "ZF-41 'Sniper'" along with the attendant magical power of turning a $400 RC Mauser into a $4000 "Sniper" rifle.

So lots of incentive for unscrupulous dealers.

It's also interesting that all these years later no one has been able to find a definitive answer on where this concept originated from.

On the original ZF-41 rifles that I've seen photos of, the ZF-41 rail is part of the entire rear sight base that gets soldered onto the barrel, in place of the standard rear sight base, and requires the cut out in the stock.

Someone, somewhere came up with this "retrofit" component as a simple way of turning a K98 into a "ZF-41 'Sniper'" along with the attendant magical power of turning a $400 RC Mauser into a $4000 "Sniper" rifle.

So lots of incentive for unscrupulous dealers.

It's also interesting that all these years later no one has been able to find a definitive answer on where this concept originated from.

We know where the Zf41 mounting system originated from. Here is some good info

http://zielfernrohr.b.la9.jp/index.htm

https://www.wwiigermansniper.com/zf-41

Last edited:
But what I want to know is, was the mount that the rifle in my original post has, developed by and used by the Germans, or is it purely a post-war fabrication?

So You are asking about the Scope & Mount and if these are Originally developed by the Germans and did they actually use them . If So. The Answer is Yes . This particular Scope & Mount looks to be Original

Last edited:
But what I want to know is, was the mount that the rifle in my original post has, developed by and used by the Germans, or is it purely a post-war fabrication?

I'm not certain exactly what your question is. So I'll do my best to answer it.

The scope and mount in your OP is original war time produced by the Germans, the scope rail/base is not. The ZF41 mounting system was a scope mounting system developed by the Germans during WWII and several rifles with this mounting system were produced.

The method of mounting this scope is different from the Numrich repros being sold today, so yes it is a post war fantasy base. Above, another member posted pictures of what an original war time example looks like.

Hope this helps.

You pretty much have your answer. Just to add, a repro scope mount will not fit an original base without mods. An original scope mount will not fit a repro base.

Some RCs came in country with an original rear sight and base. A few RCs came in country with original ZF41 stocks with the correct stock cut. Put these together with a correct ZF-41 set up and you have a good shooter but not a collectable.

These are not sniper rifle but are silly expensive. Caution is required.

Military Rifle Journal
Back