Third Party Press

Unbekkant Mundesschoner

pwcosol

Gents:

Recently acquired this unusual, German Imperial proofed muzzlecover (currently in transit from Poland). I have asked around, but nobody knows anything more. It appears to me as something likely made between the time of the Gew88 cover and that for the Gew98. Looks like there was a rectangular metal yoke (covered in concretions) not unlike that seen on a traditional mouse trap. This would have been (possibly under tension) lifted up & forward as the cover slid onto the barrel, then released to engage the back side of the front sight base, thus securing it to the rifle. When it arrives I will see if it will fit the Gew98. If so, this might have been something cobbled up for the very first Gew98s at one of the German state arsenals, prior to introduction of the "classic" pattern. The cover could also have been made for any one of a number of foreign rifles captured and reissued during WW1 by Germany as well. Thoughts...?

Attachments

• UnkImpMzlCvr6.jpg
    UnkImpMzlCvr6.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 48
Kind of like an American Krag muzzle cover

Yes, I kind of thought that myself, as it does have a resemblance. Just happens I have a U.S. Krag. Never been much of a U.S. collector, but had the opportunity to buy a very nice one (1902 stock cartouche/date) w/muzzle cover, period leather sling, and cleaning rods in the butt, so could not pass it by...

Item arrived yesterday. The cover is quite large and of heavy brass. No internal spring system inside muzzle cap. Brass cover does fit a IG71/84 barrel nicely (diameter), but is not for this rifle as the nubs on each side of the moveable front sight blade make it too wide to fit in the upper part of the housing. I also think the metal yoke was never a rectangular bar, but rather a "L", as I see no evidence a left-side support was ever there. Possibly Werder, Wanzel, or some other 10-11mm+ shoulder arm. Also am thinking the lower rear of the brass cap is rebated because of a front barrel band which is open at the top and very close to the front sight/muzzle (Dreyse Needle rifle? But caliber is 15mm+ and don't know the exact outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle).

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back