Third Party Press

Stunning! More GB insanity

..there is a great picture reference section on this forum that can give you an idea on what to look for on about any k98k rifle.

Great point but it only matters if you look before you buy. Again don't beat yourself up too much. It happens.

Ok so that's really good. Both for your acuman and also for any possible repercussions. There was a discussion about this rifle before you bought it on Dave's site. WW2weapons.com

Too funny!! Do you happen to have the link? I’m still learning to use these forums properly...

Mapsterchef,
Everyone that has commented above me on this thread are quality
Collectors and good people.
So my .02
Use the “Trader” section here to find a rifle that might meet your needs and if you don’t see one
Right off, put up a WTB thread.
(As mentioned in this thread, anything for sale here usually gets vetted pretty quick).
The “good people here”..
It’s my thought that any of them would be fine with a PM or a posted thread
From you asking questions about any potential purchase.
Great advise has been given on things in addition to what I just said above
To make you a successful k98 collector:
Get all 3 of those books !
Study the picture reference section.
Vet it here, you will find lots of help.

*and most of us have all learned the hard way on stuff and made mistakes.
Join the group.

Steveo

Thank you. I genuinely appreciate the feedback and the advice.

Aside from the finish problems that were pointed out. Earlier in this thread, is there anything else that stands out? Do the stamps look legit? (Trying to learn from my experience)

Lastly, for future reference, assuming the rifle was 100% legit and as advertised, how much would it be worth?

Mapster, please see my post nr. 5. The lower band is ground and renumbered, i.e., humped. The stock is sanded down with fake markings. The front band is likely renumbered, and likely poorly because it isn't shown. In short, my guess is that it was matching rifle that was stock chopped into a sporter / deer rifle. in the last 40 years when it became more valuable as an original configuration rifle a stock and barrel bands were added and humped to "match". Even if the bands weren't humped that stock has had all of the collector value sanded and wanked right out of it. At most it's worth about 1/3 of your winning bid IMHO. That's just what I see from the Gunbonker awkshun pics. There could be more. I wouldn't waste my time and money having it sent for me to look at and return it. $3k is into top tier collector rifle territory and this one isn't even close to top tier. This community will look out for you and help if you want it and that learning is free, unlike the harsh and expensive lesson that comes with getting stuck this $3k honker.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your valuable guidance, advice, and feedback.
I contacted the seller and "returned" it before it was even shipped. He was pretty peeved at first but we talked it through and I brought up all the issues the you guys pointed out. We finished the conversation on good terms... I think it helps that I offered to pay his gunbroker commission (It was less than I would have had to pay to ship the gun, ship it back, FFL fees, etc anyways), which I figured it was the right thing to do.

Anyways, now it's time to find a truly all-matching 98k!

Thanks everyone for your valuable guidance, advice, and feedback.
I contacted the seller and "returned" it before it was even shipped. He was pretty peeved at first but we talked it through and I brought up all the issues the you guys pointed out. We finished the conversation on good terms... I think it helps that I offered to pay his gunbroker commission (It was less than I would have had to pay to ship the gun, ship it back, FFL fees, etc anyways), which I figured it was the right thing to do.

Anyways, now it's time to find a truly all-matching 98k!

Well done. We don't want your first experience venturing into this most excellent hobby to be a bad one. Sadly, because of the integrity of the hobby overall, it's popular, and the rifles have gotten expensive. Thus they are being humped, as anything of value is. If one doesn't want to deal with fakery in a hobby then one must find a hobby collecting things of no value, like broken glass, dirt clods, or cigarette butts. Those things are not faked to my knowledge. I like to think that our vigilance also makes those with humping skills move on to other easier hobby areas. If I had to guess, I would say that the seller is innocent in all of this and just ended up with a humper. It's not unusual for rifles like this to be walked around shows by straw men for rifle humpers or people seeking to offload humpers. A humper price for this is around $1500 because that causes a reseller to see dollar signs ($500-$1500 profit) yet not suspect the rifle as being "too good to be true."

I distinctly remember back in the early 90s at the Dallas Collectors' Show seeing a beautiful, 100% matched e/L 42 1940 with original sling with a $850 price tag and laughing and telling my buddies at our table that there would never be a day that I would pay that for a K98k. :googlie I have been proven wrong many times and that rifle is today, legitimately a $3000+ K98k. They guys here will help you if you ask for it. I predict that your first matching K98k will be nicer and a good bit cheaper than that one. :thumbsup: Welcome aboard.

..it helps that I offered to pay his gunbroker commission (It was less than I would have had to pay to ship the gun, ship it back, FFL fees, etc anyways), which I figured it was the right thing to do.

Nice on you. I wonder if he didn't know it was wanked (doubtful) or just more pissed he didn't get the 3k? Anyway here's that site where discussing ongoing auctions is allowed and encouraged. http://ww2weaponsforum.com Lot's of junk called out and some humor but members have snagged some nice items from following along. It will probably take a while but you'll surely find something to your liking here on the trader. There were a few dozen? higher end rifles sold off a collection recently. Not sure if any are left. They generally started around or a little under what you were going to spend and went up from there. Really nice rifles. Good stuff comes along on here. Bruce (mainly) and a few others have rifles sell in minutes. Literally. Good luck on your quest.

While we don't allow posting of ongoing auctions here for good items, we do to out fakes. As noted by HM, Dave's site does. However, you can reach out to people privately here via PM for help. The prevailing vote here was to not post ongoing auctions and discuss them because: 1) We don't want our trader or site used to advertise auctions (we like to sell among ourselves); and 2) Some guys here have spent a literal lifetime studying and learning and that edge is spotting things at auction is stripped when someone can just jump in, post a link, and get that lifetime of information to compete.

For the OP, when you get a chance to check the trader starting on the bottom of page 5 and continued on page 6 you'll see some high end rifles, some cheaper than you were going to spend. I have no association with the seller but others have knowledge of where these came from. At least you can look at them and see what you like. He has quite a variety left from what was maybe 40? or more when he started selling them off.

Military Rifle Journal
Back