Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stunning! More GB insanity

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Default Stunning! More GB insanity

Anyone think this is a 3k rifle? Check out the lower band, bandspring and upper band in photos 24 and 25. What the hell happened there? Apparently purdy is all it takes?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/796735690
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

The bid histories of things like this all have certain common characteristics The "winner" is a member since 01-19-2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

I thought the name sounded familiar....

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ht=mapsterchef

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    I thought the name sounded familiar....

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ht=mapsterchef
    rut roh.jpg I'm sensing some questions coming soon.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

OK, so looks like a new guy. He needs to be helped so his first matching rifle experience isn't this. I'm seeing a profoundly wanked stock and a humped lower band. Probable resurrected sporter. Even if a matching rifle, in that condition, with the fake stock proofs, sanding, etc., it is worth no more than half that. However, I believe the stock and at least one band fraudulent.

Again, an auction with multiple detailed pics of nothing (why do we need three closeups of a wirewheelwanked takedown disc?), without good pics of what is crucial here: the band numbering on the front and lower band. The lower band is humped. You can see how the material was ground off of it. What does the front band numbering look like? Why is the front band, one of the parts on a K98k that wears the most due to handling, 99% blue?
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Oh oh Shaggy!

Yes I see some questions coming soon. Guys are you telling me the $3,000 I just spent on this rifle was a bad idea!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

I already feel bad for the guy. I was going to add smart ass comments like 'Really wanted a 98k so I jumped in on this one' and 'Did I get a good one?'

Ham I totally agree on the bands. No way in '41 had that crazy dual tone whatever is going on there from the factory. Also spot on that the upper band is nearly flawless. No way is that finish original.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Is this rifle the subject of the missing Mod. 98 thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    Is this rifle the subject of the missing Mod. 98 thread?
    Yeah it appears so. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until ugafx4 linked that thread but the winning bidder did seems strangely familiar. I just thought maybe I saw the name in another auction bidder list.

Hi all. Yup, that was me

Yes, I’m very new to this.

Yes, I didn’t want to miss out on an awesome looking gun if it was legit.

No, I would never drop that kind of money on something that didn’t have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does. I may be dumb but I’m not THAT dumb. I never bid on or buy anything that I can’t vet in person and return if it turns out to be different than advertised.

So, lay it on me. Did newbie do a dumb?