Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stunning! More GB insanity

Quote Originally Posted by MapsterChef View Post
    Hi all. Yup, that was me

Yes, Iím very new to this.

Yes, I didnít want to miss out on an awesome looking gun if it was legit.

No, I would never drop that kind of money on something that didnít have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does. I may be dumb but Iím not THAT dumb. I never bid on or buy anything that I canít vet in person and return if it turns out to be different than advertised.

So, lay it on me. Did newbie do a dumb?
    I would never call a new collector dumb but I would say you did a inexperience purchase. Personally I agree with hambone I wish your first all matching rifle you bought didn't have problems like this one. But lucky for you this seller has a return policy with this rifle so you can get your money back. I would tell you this before dropping that amount of money on a rifle that you're still learning about I would buy the books first, get some more knowledge and experience under your belt, and if you ever have questions please ask here.

And remember there is a great picture reference section on this forum that can give you an idea on what to look for on about any k98k rifle.

Also don't beat yourself up too much on this either almost every collector out there has a Horror Story it's just part of the learning game.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Hi all. Yup, that was me

Yes, Iím very new to this.

Yes, I didnít want to miss out on an awesome looking gun if it was legit.

No, I would never drop that kind of money on something that didnít have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does. I may be dumb but Iím not THAT dumb. I never bid on or buy anything that I canít vet in person and return if it turns out to be different than advertised.

So, lay it on me. Did newbie do a dumb?
    If it were me I'd exercise your 7 day inspection period and let them run it again. Don't even let them waste time/money on shipping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    I would never call a new collector dumb but I would say you did a inexperience purchase. Personally I agree with hambone I wish your first all matching rifle you bought didn't have problems like this one. But lucky for you this seller has a return policy with this rifle so you can get your money back. I would tell you this before dropping that amount of money on a rifle that you're still learning about I would buy the books first, get some more knowledge and experience under your belt, and if you ever have questions please ask here.

And remember there is a great picture reference section on this forum that can give you an idea on what to look for on about any k98k rifle.

Also don't beat yourself up too much on this either almost every collector out there has a Horror Story it's just part of the learning game.
    Thank you. I genuinely appreciate the feedback and the advice.

Aside from the finish problems that were pointed out. Earlier in this thread, is there anything else that stands out? Do the stamps look legit? (Trying to learn from my experience)

Lastly, for future reference, assuming the rifle was 100% legit and as advertised, how much would it be worth?

I don't know if it's been suggested, but when you get it, or if you have it, get a lot of good pictures of it. Numbers, stamps, everything that can be considered a marking of some sort. Could be useful to refer to in the future.

If you exercise your return prior to them shipping, then never mind the above.

Quote Originally Posted by phillynick View Post
    If it were me I'd exercise your 7 day inspection period and let them run it again. Don't even let them waste time/money on shipping it.
    Iím planning on it... thank you!

There's much that really jumps out, but one of the first things I noticed is that the eagle and the H don't line up on the right side butt stock marking. These were originally a single stamp applied with a single strike, so they always aligned.

The stock was deeply cleaned, refinished and stained before the e/H and serial numbers were applied, without doubt.
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

If you're going to drop that much coin, you should have looked no further than the Trader Section of this board. Lots of high condition and legit rifles for sale there in this price range.

If a bunk item was posted on this forum, it would be called out immediately.

You can query knowledgeable members via PM as to the authenticity and relative value of a given rifle.

And buy the books! The Karabiner 98k volumes are the best modern study of this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post
    There's much that really jumps out, but one of the first things I noticed is that the eagle and the H don't line up on the right side butt stock marking. These were originally a single stamp applied with a single strike, so they always aligned.

The stock was deeply cleaned, refinished and stained before the e/H and serial numbers were applied, without doubt.
    Interesting. I didnít know it was one stamp! Good to know they should line up!!

maybe Iím seeing things, but it almost looks like thereís an eagle stamp right above the H (veryyyy faded) in addition to the one next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy10 View Post
    If you're going to drop that much coin, you should have looked no further than the Trader Section of this board. Lots of high condition and legit rifles for sale there in this price range.

If a bunk item was posted on this forum, it would be called out immediately.

You can query knowledgeable members via PM as to the authenticity and relative value of a given rifle.

And buy the books! The Karabiner 98k volumes are the best modern study of this rifle.
    Thanks for this! I didnít know there was a trade section here!! How can I find it? (Still learning to use the forum)

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

..I would never drop that kind of money on something that didnít have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does.
    Ok so that's really good. Both for your acuman and also for any possible repercussions. There was a discussion about this rifle before you bought it on Dave's site. WW2weapons.com
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in spšteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie KŁssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben mŁssen"