Third Party Press

First K98

ROBNTX

Hello all,

Bought my first K98 and wanted a little info on it. Have many surplus firearms, but have avoided the K98; mainly due to price and all the reworked rifles and my inexpertise to spot them.

One came up locally and for the price ($500) figured I'd take the chance. Only thing I see the does not match is the safety, finish appears to be original, excellent bore, missing cleaning rod and not original sling.

What do the experts say? Worth it for the money? Original or reworked?

Thanks,

Pretty cool, a Bosigwalde marked receiver finished by Oberndorf...Stock isn't correct, would have a single fairly large E/135 stock proof and a cupped buttplate, where your stock is marked with the multiple acceptance and e/749 for Gustloff and a flat buttplate....

Last edited:
Pretty cool, a Bosigwalde marked receiver finished by Oberndorf...Stock isn't correct, would have a single fairly large E/135 stock proof and a cupped buttplate, where the your stock is marked with the multiple acceptance and e/749 for Gustloff and a flat buttplate....

Good call. I also noticed the Astrawerk supplied flat butt plate and Heimag recoil lug. Still think it's an interesting piece and surely worth the price the OP paid.

I'd say yes, worth the money. As already said the stock is not original. Not reworked in my opinion, though I'd guess the original stock was sported or ruined in some way and replaced. It looks from what I see to be an original condition stock and unmessed with.

I don’t collect Oberndorf really so I’m not sure but how early do we see Borsigwalde receivers turn up? Seems like one of the earliest ones I can remember, being an “I” block. I’m so used to seeing N, L, hand stamp, and NLB 45’s.

Definitely worth 500 these days especially if it has a good bore as you say. I would have bought it for that for sure, I’d say a pretty darn good first 98k, welcome to forum!

Thanks for the welcome and information. Been lurking for awhile and y'alls knowledge in the K98 is mind blowing. Look forward to digging into the forum now that I finally have one.

I don’t collect Oberndorf really so I’m not sure but how early do we see Borsigwalde receivers turn up? Seems like one of the earliest ones I can remember, being an “I” block. I’m so used to seeing N, L, hand stamp, and NLB 45’s.

Definitely worth 500 these days especially if it has a good bore as you say. I would have bought it for that for sure, I’d say a pretty darn good first 98k, welcome to forum!

I have several recorded in the "h" block and lots in the "i". Neat variation, shame the stock has been replaced.

There are some great examples in the pic reference. There is an i block but it's from the 4 digit run. Also an n block from the same poster that's 'only' a few thousand later than yours

Military Rifle Journal
Back