Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on this training rifle?

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Default thoughts on this training rifle?

I admit my knowledge on these is weak but of course as things go with this hobby I'm becoming more interested in them. Any thoughts appreciated. How was the price? Desirability? Any thoughts regarding condition or whatever. Thanks.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/796650659
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I would say the price was fair. This one was discussed on Dave's auction forum and I did comment. The ? was should the bolt be numbered or not ?
    I see added photos were placed by the seller but they were poor of little value.

I collected trainers for years and this DSM alluded me. But, I also owned some that were quite scarce. This is the luck of collecting as some stuff falls into our laps and others don't.

I would own this rifle for sure. Honest condition and nice finish still.. I think someone did well. Its clear from the photos as piss poor as they are the bottom flat is blank.

So it could have a correctly in-numbered bolt. I'm not sure If Bob S's book gets into this detail for each maker ??

Only neg. is the horrible repro k98k sling....

My thoughts On JGA and Simson/BSW is they made very few Dsm34's as they both made their own trainers and they were successful as well.. I have seen 10x as many JGA designed Sportmodells to a JGA DSM34.

Also can be said to the 625 series of Simson/bsw to their DSM34 product.
    Last edited by mauser99; 01-25-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Looks like a nice rifle and I just couldn't pull the trigger 'cause of the shitty photos. I did ask the seller for bolt pics and he served up some more bad pics.

Regarding bolt numbering is there any list of Mfgs that did or did not number bolts on DSMs? The Simpson book is a little vague.

I have the book but, haven't started to read it yet. Not the first complaint Ive heard about not covering enough in detail.. Or info being hard to find in the book..

I think the book Was/is just too large and covers all models it was impossible to fit everything on every rifle in the book..

When it comes to some DSM and KKw's for that matter there was some flip flopping on bolt numbering by some makers....

When it comes to this I will always accept a Non-numbered bolt as possibly correct. At least its not "mismatched" and to me I can accept that.

Mauser, of coarse is the exception as they were rock solid with their procedures. But, even they softened on later DSM parts numbering.

Some of the best buys can be chances taken in my past experiences. As I said this wasn't a steal but, a decent buy for someone..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    Looks like a nice rifle and I just couldn't pull the trigger 'cause of the shitty photos. I did ask the seller for bolt pics and he served up some more bad pics.

Regarding bolt numbering is there any list of Mfgs that did or did not number bolts on DSMs? The Simpson book is a little vague.

I think these were generally unnumbered (bolt). I am going to disagree slightly with you guys. I think the guy who bought it got a bit of a steal. I looks like its all there and on the rare side for DSMs. I would buy a similar all day long for $600.

I was surprised it didn't go higher but, If guys get scared off due to bad photos I cant help that.

All Z.M. makers didn't number their bolts. But, Walther did. The smaller firms no. JGA didn't number their bolts on their own designed rifles So Id dare to say they probably didn't on their DSM's also.

I haven't seen enough to come to a concrete decision of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkerswede View Post
    I think these were generally unnumbered (bolt).
    You "think" or do you know for sure?

The rifle above might have been a great deal for someone or it may have been a bolt MM. Nobody seems to know with any certainty.

Maybe we could start a DSM thread w/good pics? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    You "think" or do you know for sure?

The rifle above might have been a great deal for someone or it may have been a bolt MM. Nobody seems to know with any certainty.

Maybe we could start a DSM thread w/good pics? Just a thought.
    I mentioned this before... like the K98 picture reference thread. It needs to be done.

Concerning the rifle:

The finish looks a little flat in the pictures.. notice the bolt vs. receiver finish? Still for $600 this JGA it's a great deal, it's worth that in parts alone. ($250 for the bolt, $170 for a cracked stock with missing handguard and barrel bands.. $138 for a barrel band set) all recent prices from eBay.

I got my JGA DSM34 s/n 87XX with commercial N proofs for $350 in September and it's in really good shape.. I can't help that the auctioneer couldn't spell correctly and didn't wipe it down--it looked like someone left it outside for a year. I forgot about the auction, called a few days later to see if it had sold and sure enough it didn't. Sometimes you get great deals. even with crappy pictures.
    No parts are numbered on my JGA except the barrel and receiver.

I'm not sure any records exist that say "this model had the bolt numbered to the rifle" but when you see 50-60 examples of a certain model and they are all unnumbered and no other examples exist with a numbered bolt, you can reasonably assume that they were not normally numbered. Makers like Mauser with more established practices/greater resources were very different.