Third Party Press

thoughts on this training rifle?

JGA and Waffenstadts are more interesting to me than other trainers because of their inconsistencies compared to other manufacturers. Especially considering how ridgid Germans are from an engineering viewpoint. I think it makes them that much cooler to collect, plus provides an additional excuse to get buy more. :thumbsup:

We need BiO to chime in I know he can add some further info to the discussion.

Yea the finish isn't too bad on the rifle, the top of the barrel suffers from "rust freckling". Based on some recommendations on the forum, I ordered some blue wonder gun cream and kroil to remove rust without damaging the bluing. Will try them out and post here.

I just happen to stumble upon it and ended up only paying $300 plus transfer fees for it so I'm still happy.

Was taking the rifle apart to wrap the barrel in kroil and found some additional serial stamping. The last digit of the S/N is not only stamped on the underside of the safety, as mentioned before, but also on the left side of the bolt shroud. Also the last digit of the S/N is penciled into the stock barrel channel.

Note: the tooling marks in the channel, must be from hand bedding the rifle into the stock. It appears to start from where the receiver is recessed to the end of the barrel channel. Looks like a gouge carving chisel was used.

Attachments

• JGA DSM34_119_resized.jpg
    JGA DSM34_119_resized.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 30
  • JGA DSM34_120_resized.jpg
    JGA DSM34_120_resized.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 33
Well thanks for all the feedback. Kind of confirms what I thought and why I was pissed off in the morning. I'm not sure how much higher I would have bid but I'd have been in for a few at least.

I have found with some smaller manufactures Paatz in particular used a sub-assy # like this to keep rifle components together after fitting.. As you will find in some cases parts will not interchange as they are all hand fit. The sub assy # usually isn't the serial # or abbreviated .

Was taking the rifle apart to wrap the barrel in kroil and found some additional serial stamping. The last digit of the S/N is not only stamped on the underside of the safety, as mentioned before, but also on the left side of the bolt shroud. Also the last digit of the S/N is penciled into the stock barrel channel.

Note: the tooling marks in the channel, must be from hand bedding the rifle into the stock. It appears to start from where the receiver is recessed to the end of the barrel channel. Looks like a gouge carving chisel was used.

I have found with some smaller manufactures Paatz in particular used a sub-assy # like this to keep rifle components together after fitting.. As you will find in some cases parts will not interchange as they are all hand fit. The sub assy # usually isn't the serial # or abbreviated .

With my example, do you think the 4 is the last digit of the serial number stamped on parts to match it to the rifle, or is it a assembly number that just happen to be the last digit of the serial number? I can see your point that it may be an assembly number because the stock channel was altered so that the barrel and receiver fit correctly.

With my example, do you think the 4 is the last digit of the serial number stamped on parts to match it to the rifle, or is it a assembly number that just happen to be the last digit of the serial number? I can see your point that it may be an assembly number because the stock channel was altered so that the barrel and receiver fit correctly.

Interested in this as well - as I have a Mauser Oberndorf with faint pencil in the barrel bed of the stock... I can't make the figures out, and at any rate they don't seem to coincide with the serial # on the rifle or bolt (same). That said, I don't have any reason to think the stock isn't original to the rifle, doesn't appear altered in any way and there was a fair amount of cosmoline?/gunk along the barrel matching the stock. They've been together a looooooong time.

Attachments

• 20190206_091414.jpg
    20190206_091414.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190206_091536_HDR.jpg
    20190206_091536_HDR.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190206_092540.jpg
    20190206_092540.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 9

Military Rifle Journal
Back