Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Polish Bayonet ID help needed

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    301

    Default Polish Bayonet ID help needed

    I have tried researching the correct nomenclature for these bayonets online, but find conflicting information.
    The #1 bayonet is obviously a model 24 as marked on the pommel. But even on this one I have questions, was
    it originally in the white, is it supposed to have a muzzle ring.
    #2 and #3 have no model designated, #2 I assume is as manufactured, in the white and with muzzle ring, is it a model 29?
    Was #3 blued in German service? Did it have the muzzle ring removed?
    Thanks to a helpful member, I was able to get a Polish scabbard, pictured with bayonet #2, what bayonet was it originally
    made for?

    thanks in advance for any information
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Number 1 is model 24 indeed. Originally it was in the white, never had a muzzle ring and it has replaced grips. Grips should be smaller even with metal pommel like your bayonet number 3. Larger grips were introduced during mid production of model 28.
    Number 2 is model 28/29 in original Polish configuration and in the white.
    Number 3 is model 28/29, blued by Germans and with muzzle ring removed.

    I can't tell which maker is your scabbard. I have been away from Polish collecting for many years and don't remember all the details. Model designation 28 is basically same as 29. I don't remember differences but, they are minor. Maybe grip size or markings change. Maybe others will know.

    Basically all Polish bayonets were in the white. Only some late model 29s, marked 1939 were blued and had blades factory sharpened half length. They are called mobilization bayonets and are scarce.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    B
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Hi
    Scabbard is origininally German, for the S84/98 neuer Art, later used and numbered by the Poles.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spielkind View Post
    Hi
    Scabbard is origininally German, for the S84/98 neuer Art, later used and numbered by the Poles.

    You are right. I was mislead by polish khaki paint remains. Frog latch is typical German. Polish was different. My mistake.

    Jack

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokarev38 View Post
    You are right. I was mislead by polish khaki paint remains. Frog latch is typical German. Polish was different. My mistake.

    Jack
    I do not think the scabbard is German. Just above and to the left of the throat screw is a "D" in a hexagon, the same marking that is visible in the second picture of bayonet #1.

    This is the same scabbard that is pictured in Grilim's post of Jan. 8th, in this forum. I purchased this scabbard from him, and his photos clearly show the mark I mentioned.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    493

    Default

    The Kennblatter fremden Gerats (from 20.3.41) refers to the Polish S84/98 pattern bayonets under a single reference: "Seitengewehre 139(p)", with the Polish Wz28 being the typical Polish bayonet from their viewpoint.
    Last edited by pwcosol; 01-25-2019 at 07:04 PM.

  7. #7
    Member bert.f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    33

    Default Polish bayonet

    Hello,number 1 wz 24 made by; Towarzystwo Fabryki Motorów "PERKUN" w Warszawie. Modified slotted button and lack of muzzle flash protector, orginal model 24 had a muzzle flash protector on the top of the grip. Number 2 and 3- wz29(nr.3 muzzle ring removed) made by; Arms Factory in Radom. In 1933 the new designation system,all bayonets without muzzel ring wz22, wz24 and wz27, were named wz27. Bayonets with a muzle ring, were named as wz29.
    Last edited by bert.f; 01-26-2019 at 02:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member grimlin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Close to the vortex in Oregon
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokarev38 View Post
    You are right. I was mislead by polish khaki paint remains. Frog latch is typical German. Polish was different. My mistake.

    Jack
    There are no remains of paint of any color or kind on this scabbard. If you are referring to the goldish brown area where the serial numbers are stamped, that is brazing that was perhaps done to build the area up for re-stamping of the new serial number. AndyB gave us an opinion on this scabbard and I tend to go his way. Also bert.f posted a fine chart of a Polish scabbard that sure looks like this one.
    runner I sure hope this scabbard will work on one of your bayonets. Nice bayonets by the way.
    Grimlin13
    Last edited by grimlin13; 01-26-2019 at 03:28 AM.
    " Hey, I got it from a long time dealer in Third Reich militaria years ago, so you know it`s real." Over heard comment at a table.

  9. #9
    Senior Member AndyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    I assume all was already correctly answered, the first one is german reworked Wz.24, the scabbard with renumbered serial could be used with this, but the range of new serial is for Wz.29 made at Perkun, the second one looks like Wz.29 done in Radom, no german upgrades, the last one is too german reworked WZ.29 but probably with not period grips? strange wood, deringed and reserialed? . b.r.Andy

  10. #10
    Member bert.f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    33

    Default Polish bayonet

    Quote Originally Posted by tokarev38 View Post
    Number 1 is model 24 indeed. Originally it was in the white, never had a muzzle ring and it has replaced grips. Grips should be smaller even with metal pommel like your bayonet number 3. Larger grips were introduced during mid production of model 28.
    Number 2 is model 28/29 in original Polish configuration and in the white.
    Number 3 is model 28/29, blued by Germans and with muzzle ring removed.

    I can't tell which maker is your scabbard. I have been away from Polish collecting for many years and don't remember all the details. Model designation 28 is basically same as 29. I don't remember differences but, they are minor. Maybe grip size or markings change. Maybe others will know.

    Basically all Polish bayonets were in the white. Only some late model 29s, marked 1939 were blued and had blades factory sharpened half length. They are called mobilization bayonets and are scarce.
    100% Original scabbard Polish. "PERKUN"produced scabbards with the retaining screw above the frog stud, arms factory RADOM the retaining rivet mount above the frog stud

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •