20190219_174435.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190219_174411.jpg
    20190219_174411.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190219_174410.jpg
    20190219_174410.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 28
By all means buy it, but then why did you ask for good knowledgeable advice, from people with years and years of collecting behind them, if you refuse to take it ???????

It is, after, all your money........

FWIW, I was friends with Richard Law, prior to his death, and personally know, for a FACT, that many of the guns shown in both his books had major problems as far as originality.

Some were restored & some were outright fakes.

Last edited:
By all means buy it, but then why did you ask for good knowledgeable advice, from people with years and years of collecting behind them, if you refuse to take it ???????

It is, after, all your money........

FWIW, I was friends with Richard Law, prior to his death, and personally know, for a FACT, that many of the guns shown in both his books had major problems as far as originality.

Some were restored & some were outright fakes.

I appreciated the advice and what was needed to be seen on this particular Rifle. I opened it up and yes the stock has been numbered to the Rifle and has the deathhead cartouche on the stock. The Bolt is the only thing that Seems to be odd. So Are you saying this is a Fake?

"It's the one in Law's book". "It's from the Sturgess Kollektion". Karnival barkery.
I've heard it all. Many of these 1st gen Kollektors had amassed significant amounts of shite rifles. They didn't know better. End of story.

The rifle stock should be numbered on the keel. The bolt should be numbered. You decide. These are constants with SS2 conversions- you want to be the guy selling it to the next crowd of collectors that are even more informed? Bolt is 100% not original, stock is questionable at best. Put your money in it if you feel like it.

For what it’s worth, the SS conversion I recently posted is numbered outside but not inside the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's the one in Law's book". "It's from the Sturgess Kollektion". Karnival barkery.
I've heard it all. Many of these 1st gen Kollektors had amassed significant amounts of shite rifles. They didn't know better. End of story.

I totally agree. Include 'I've had it for a long time' and 'it was with the rifle when I acquired it'... both of which prove nothing. Sometimes its nearly impossible to convince someone who so desperately wants to believe. At that point facts mean little to nothing. There are 2 specific things I don't like about the numbering in the channel however it's not my money and my opinion is worth exactly what someone's paying for it.

I totally agree. Include 'I've had it for a long time' and 'it was with the rifle when I acquired it'... both of which prove nothing. Sometimes its nearly impossible to convince someone who so desperately wants to believe. At that point facts mean little to nothing. There are 2 specific things I don't like about the numbering in the channel however it's not my money and my opinion is worth exactly what someone's paying for it.

Yep...

The stock is suspect because it doesn't follow established SS Re-Work patterns of being numbered externally, and not internally.

Does that mean internal numbering NEVER happened? No, but it hasn't been observed on known good SS re-works, so it casts a lot of doubt on the stock being good.

If you like it, and believe its worth it, by all means buy it. But if you ever decide to sell I wouldn't expect a collector to pay you for something that has multiple questions no matter how good you think it is.

98k's are a tricky thing nowadays...the cost is way too high and fakes abound...back in the day when you could buy them all day long for $250-$500 and they were everywhere, sure, roll the dice...but for $3500, I'd need a better fuzzy feeling....

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you to the people who took the time to look at it and kindly express there professional opinions.
I understand that yes the knowns are what everyone seems to consider legit. I can understand that everyone knows what and how these guns left there makers and what the Depots are supposed to be. I believe there are plenty of unknowns and exceptions as it was war. No one gave a shite about swapping parts or taking pieces to fix,complete or repair just about any situation.
I am going to pass on this, sit back and watch the show as It goes on Gunbroker.

Thank you to the people who took the time to look at it and kindly express there professional opinions.
I understand that yes the knowns are what everyone seems to consider legit. I can understand that everyone knows what and how these guns left there makers and what the Depots are supposed to be. I believe there are plenty of unknowns and exceptions as it was war. No one gave a shite about swapping parts or taking pieces to fix,complete or repair just about any situation.
I am going to pass on this, sit back and watch the show as It goes on Gunbroker.

Don't be surprised if it goes for crazy money, plenty of people out there with more money than brains....

Don't be surprised if it goes for crazy money, plenty of people out there with more money than brains....

On Gunbonker? I absolutely won't be surprised. A bit of hyperbole, a smattering of suspect bidders and a couple noobs who just have to have it. That's how 1500-2000 rifles get 'sold' for 3500-4k+.

I believe there are plenty of unknowns and exceptions as it was war. No one gave a shite about swapping parts or taking pieces to fix,complete or repair just about any situation.

Exactly the kind of attitude to avoid when buying anything SS or Depot related. If you study depot guns and/or SS guns to any degree you would understand. Remember I told you to spend your money on it, I never told you to not buy it. People should be allowed to make mistakes, you seem upset that people won’t agree with your point of view, experienced people. Don’t be mad bro, go buy it but don’t get mad when you go to sell it yourself one day and it gets called out for having questionable stock and bad bolt.

Exactly the kind of attitude to avoid when buying anything SS or Depot related. If you study depot guns and/or SS guns to any degree you would understand. Remember I told you to spend your money on it, I never told you to not buy it. People should be allowed to make mistakes, you seem upset that people won’t agree with your point of view, experienced people. Don’t be mad bro, go buy it but don’t get mad when you go to sell it yourself one day and it gets called out for having questionable stock and bad bolt.

Not mad, Just frustrated . I dont want to get stuck with a questionable Rifle for 3500. Just stuck between a dealer friend who has been Selling guns for 30+ years telling me he trust this one 100% and then seeing it is questionable just puts me in a bad spot. He was going to put it on GB then I said I would take it.

If you've already told him you'd take it, and take the word of a DEALER who wants to SELL the rifle, instead of listening to the knowledge of collectors who've dealt with the details of these rifles for years, why did you bother even asking any questions?
If you're willing to part with 3500 for the rifle in question, I have it's equal that I'd part with for half that.

If you've already told him you'd take it, and take the word of a DEALER who wants to SELL the rifle, instead of listening to the knowledge of collectors who've dealt with the details of these rifles for years, why did you bother even asking any questions?
If you're willing to part with 3500 for the rifle in question, I have it's equal that I'd part with for half that.
Its not just a DEALER he is a great guy who I have dealt with for more than 20 Years. Has a great shop in my small town and has been collecting German stuff for years. Has G43,s on the walls, full auto Mp40,s MG 42,s and tons of clothes. This rifle has been in his private collection for a little time. I told him yesterday after we took it apart and found the stock numbered correctly, so he guarantees it 100% and I daid I would take it. I have been looking at this rifle fir a.month. it was supposed to go on GB but he held it for me as I researched it. We all know what it would bring on GB so I ask myself. He guarantees it but obviously in the future he might not be around. Am I worried that I will never recoup my money if I decide to part with it? Not really as I know what it would do on Gunbroker. Yes the bolt isnt original. I know the receiver is and every other metal part. Is the stock an original Depot 2 build? No one can no for sure. It does have the death head cartouche in the wrist, it does have the correct numbers on the outside but faint. It is marked also on the inside with the correct numbers. So yes I am still sleeping on it and deciding if I want to be the person to go back on my promise. If it was just a Dealer I wouldnt even have continued worrying about it. But I am a man of my word. Maybe we will both put it on GB and split it.

So you are having trouble telling the dealer 'NO', but aren't hesitant about selling a rifle with issues to someone less informed on gunbroker? And possibly profiting from it?

We are all human, we see what we see. One man sees one thing.
Another something different. Toast is toast.

80394f1d99b4a99dde45a46c78a9dc22.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back