Third Party Press
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chance to buy Death Head marked K98

Yes the white has been removed from the serial number and the death head but it is the one in the picture. I am certain.

The dealer is a good friend and he guarantees the rifle with me. I just have been buying quite a lot of K98,s lately and hope this is a good value at 3500. I have always wanted a single rune or other ss rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEMC View Post
    He said there was two on it. I didn't get a picture of the second one. I am going back on tues to make the deal.
    This rifle is different for sure. I have heard of another like it, but more pictures would help. Good you posted it here for opinions before buying. If in doubt better not to buy it I think. Honestly, I don't have the experience to say 100% for sure either way. I am sure the guys who do will speak up before long.

Iíve heard of this rifle previously and Iím concerned about the stock. Itís not correct for a Ď37, so unless there is overwhelming evidence that it was used as spare parts during an SS depot repair Iíd be nervous. I would want to see internal and external stock serial numbers.
    Without seeing more pictures of stock and bands, I suspect it might ending up being a stock from a SS gew conversion that was used to restore a sporterized rifle while reusing the original buttplate... just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    Iíve heard of this rifle previously and Iím concerned about the stock. Itís not correct for a Ď37, so unless there is overwhelming evidence that it was used as spare parts during an SS depot repair Iíd be nervous. I would want to see internal and external stock serial numbers.
    Without seeing more pictures of stock and bands, I suspect it might ending up being a stock from a SS gew conversion that was used to restore a sporterized rifle while reusing the original buttplate... just a guess.
    All the metal parts match. Upper band,lower band, cleaning rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is an interesting thread that was started a few years ago. May help with this.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....fle-Variations

Possibly like the second item on this list.

II. Appropriated Heer rifles with DH on barrel and grip.(40-42?)

First off, the bolt is NOT from any SS depot conversion. Looks as if someone had a 655 bolt body and scrubbed it, then put WW1 bolt parts to make up the rest of the bolt (this is someones restoration attempt). The SS numbered bolt roots to match.

Second, stock should be numbered externally to match if an original replacment, and should be a specific font/style. I find it odd that the stock is from a Gew.98 but the rifle isn't. The rebarrel looks period for the SS2 depot, but it's odd to use this stock on the rifle, normally the original stock was used. Lets see the wrist deaths head and serial number.

I'm with slowburn, I'd guess a sporter resto or something else (unless the stock serial pans out), bolt was mismatched so they built a bolt that would seem "plausible", but isn't. Just because a rifle is in Backbone doesn't make it right, many of the rifles in that book are restored or just not correct. The missing white crayon is the least of your worries in authenticating one of these, the bolt in and of itself is enough to cut the value by half.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

I agree with all the experts on here. And thank you all for the insight. I had a very bad taste in my mouth on this and you all have made my decision to walk away much easier.

What would you think would be a fair price? Trying to figure out what I am going to say to him tomorrow. He says he Guarantees its authenticity. But I have to ask, What are you guaranteeing?

I would walk away from it. A return policy does not mean much if you are unlikely to exercise it. The fact that you have doubts already means you should walk away. It is easier to walk away from something before money changes hands. $3,500 should buy something very nice with no doubts.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without