Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member looking for info

Default New member looking for info

Hello, Iím new to here and was told this was the best place to get info on my k98. Initial research shows it maybe a bnz 43 SS contract but Iím not sure. Any information and details and even possible value would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind Iím new to this so bear with me figuring out how to navigate the site and posts!
    Last edited by Dtfrpd#8125; 01-30-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Many aspects look promising, but I'll let the pros chime in.

Yes, you have an SS contract, most people call this a single rune. Very desirable- Have you taken It out of the wood? Iíd like to see the whole barrel code, thatís the best way to place them in production sequence. It should be late 43 production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Dtfrpd#8125,

Glad to see you posted here. I'm the guy who commented on your Facebook post and directed you to the forums.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's thoughts on this rifle, as it looked good to me, a mostly non-98k collector, haha!

Thanks for he comments guys! I have never taken it out of the wood but I can do that and take more pics. This is very cool since this was my very first milsurp piece that got me started collecting. I donít ever plan on selling the old girl but anyone have an idea of value just out of curiosity?

Default New member looking for info

Weíll need more photos of the stock and numbering, along with bolt cutout to make sure it hasnít been sanded. To me, a really good single rune is about $2500-3000 tops. Any issues the price drops dramatically, like a sanded stock would knock the price in half. Thing is, if you are patient you can buy them for about 15-1800 as many people arenít familiar with them and price them like a bnz43 army gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow, just wow.... a good way to start collecting IMO

Update. Stripped it and took pics of the stock and other marks I found.

I like it! Nice gun.

The story of SS contracts is long, much to long and complicated for a forum post, and frankly if you aren't already a 98k collector a lot of it would just confuse you as you have no base knowledge of Steyr.

Cut down to basics - Steyr contracted with the SS to make rifles, yours is one. Factory was bombed in Feb.44, yours was made before the bombing. Barrel code of dC is odd in that most pre-bombing guns jave barrel codes that start with c* (with * being any other letter), and most D* barrels (capital D) were post bombing made in Gusen. The serial on receiver tells us this was pre bombing as post bombing serial was moved to barrel. So your gun is probably early 1944, like January, most barrels with d* codes were presumably destroyed in the bombing. Receivers that had waffenamt acceptance on the side (yours has E/77) had the rune added to the top to prevent the rifles from being mixed/shipped with Army contract guns being made at the same time, and are desirable.

Stock numbering is perfect, rifle looks like a super example and worth the top end of bnz43 single rune pricing. Don't oil the stock or mess with the wood/metal, just oil the metal and enjoy your collectible! I wrote about the SS contract guns in the last book Bruce and I did, quite a bit of info. If you are just getting into 98k collecting it would be overload to get the books, but if you desire background and info on it you might think about getting the books. You can find much of the info on this forum as well, but its very fragmented.

Here's the page where I collected info, still update the list and will add your rifle to it for any future research as oddities are welcome. http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....e-serial-study