Third Party Press

Newb Needs a Hand

BigJoeK

Gents,
I'm doing my best to get familiar with markings as I am about to purchase my first G43.

I have not seen this particular "AC44" marking before so before I purchase this very nice looking G43, can you all help me confirm that this guy is a legit Walther? It also has a few Wa359s on it so that seems like a good sign.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_132320829.jpg
    IMG_20190131_132320829.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 139
very good sign...!!! if the rest is legit that's a killer rifle... There are at least three variant Walter receivers. This being one and if you know where to look it could be French made.

Lots more photos are a must but, I like what I see so far. Very hard to find variant...

This being one and if you know where to look it could be French made.

Lots more photos are a must but, I like what I see so far. Very hard to find variant...

Happy to look some more. i did read somewhere about the French contract but not sure what to look for. What am I lookong for. Also, if that's covered in a dox here I'll read up on it. I looked for the Hitler's Garand book online amd it's fetching $400+ craziness!

Almost all the milled receivers were French contract and are one of the main variants for collecting. Only 'ac' and 'bcd' used these receivers.

1. Rough Finish
2. Milled
3. Panel Cut
4. Dual Lug

From personal experience I find the Panel Cut and Dual Lug are harder to find.

I would highly recommend posting some more photos of the rifle before purchase so we can vet it for you. It has potential!

The fact its a fully machined receiver is enough The proof mark is sometimes on the rear tab of the receiver . Its a real late 44 rifle O block in Phosphate.

Some show up in 45 that are blued due to being earlier made and rejected then used in 45 with the rail milled off.

Finding a fully machined in Phosphate isn't easy.

Happy to look some more. i did read somewhere about the French contract but not sure what to look for. What am I lookong for. Also, if that's covered in a dox here I'll read up on it. I looked for the Hitler's Garand book online amd it's fetching $400+ craziness!

Thanks for the replies,all.

I did spot this Ac44 ser # 6450-o in CE's database. So it has been spotted before, apparently.

Here're the only 2 other pics I have at the moment. The rifle is on hold for me at the dealership. One photo confirms matching SN on bolt cover. I know the full pic is not super helpful but its all I've got.

I was surprised not to see any stamps on the stock itself. Is that a concern?

Other notable features:
- scope mount is present
- bolt retaining catch/button is present
- i was able to lock back bolt and remove the bolt carrier group but was too afraid to try to disassemble further since i havent tried before and know it's under spring tension. the dealer had no idea how to do it either. the bolt face looked good and it was lubed pretty well by prev owner.
- plastic bag seen in photo has "original parts" looks like spring and piston. im assuming a shooters kit has been installed. again i did not want to take the barrel band off and get that into a project in a store, while working over an unprotected glass display counter :)
- front sight shroud is present.
- buttplate door is ribbed
- all wood forend as can be seen
- no original mag, its a repro
- action cover appears to be the auto variety but is very loose and easily slides open closed.

my main concern is just not buying some kind of reproduxtion at the going c&r price. im not aware of any "Mitchell Mauser" type of G43s so I thought I'd come to the experts here.

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_132324298.jpg
    IMG_20190131_132324298.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190131_132307961~2.jpg
    IMG_20190131_132307961~2.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 45
the stock has been re-shaped @ the wrist.

Hard to say if its even the original stock ? too bad as its a neat rifle otherwise.. I find it interesting it has a threaded barrel.

Whats noted on Clause's site ?

Well, its very hard to re-barrel a g43 but anything is possible... List or data could also be wrong. Sorry the rifle isn't 100% it would have been a great find.

I thought the stock looked a little too smooth, but I wasn’t sure until seeing the whole thing.

Sometimes the info on our listings can get messed up as it’s not a 100% accurate thing. It’s a darn good guide though.

Exactly why I asked for full pictures. I circled my area of concern.

The recoil lug and spanner tell a lot about a stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_132320829.jpg
    IMG_20190131_132320829.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 38
Good catch. I missed that.

Sorry but I'm not picking up on the issue.. I see the point of interest...
You're saying based on the lack of wear and tear, this must be a new/replacement stock and/or new hardware?
An additional indicator is the magazine well. I noticed it looked a little too pristine for something original.

Are there any additional markings/stamps I should see on the stock. I'll be headed back to the store and will take another look, grab some more pics.

Lastly, the info you've all been wondering... the ask is $2500. Pricing guide I saw shows $2500 for "90%". If I reveal these flaws and want it as a shooter, thoughts on price or just walk on by?

2018 Pricing .. note the comment at the bottom of the table!

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_184906746.jpg
    IMG_20190128_184906746.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 26
Sorry but I'm not picking up on the issue.. I see the point of interest...
You're saying based on the lack of wear and tear, this must be a new/replacement stock and/or new hardware?
An additional indicator is the magazine well. I noticed it looked a little too pristine for something original.

Are there any additional markings/stamps I should see on the stock. I'll be headed back to the store and will take another look, grab some more pics.

Lastly, the info you've all been wondering... the ask is $2500. Pricing guide I saw shows $2500 for "90%". If I reveal these flaws and want it as a shooter, thoughts on price or just walk on by?

The guys in the know are saying that the stock has been drastically rasped to reshape it and then sanded. The recoil lug has been replaced with some mod, so basically it has a 'bubba' stock that seriously lowers the value of the rifle. Too bad.

...The recoil lug has been replaced with some mod, ...

Not exactly. The recoil lug is original and an original late war lug has a domed head which is flush with the surface of the stock, not proud. The head on this rifle is not domed anymore but flat. What does this mean?
In most cases, it means the stock has been heavily sanded and so much material has been taken off that the domed head became exposed and also got affected by the sanding, thus the flat spot.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Military Rifle Journal
Back