Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ax 1940

Barrel is off a very late 42/1940, or very early byf/41, it should be serialed for sure and have a "D" on the barrel shoulder. Really can't be ERMA, or any other maker, as Mauser was greedy with barrels. They generally do not share barrels with others.

No one knows the meaning, at least so far as i know or that have revealed it publicly... (lot of sharp fellows that do not do forums, least of all share hard earned research)

All that can be said is that it is seen on almost all laminate stocks during early production. It tends to drop during the early phase of the war, though well into 1941 (which encompasses all of ERMA production, - the "P" can be found till the very end of ERMA production, on laminate stocks). It was probably one of the casualties of the Hitler directive to simplify production and lessen the inspection protocols.

I suspect it is some German identifier used to identify the stock as laminate, similar to what was done in WWI with the use of substitute woods (B=beech etc..); though some have suggested it may be a sub-contractor. I disagree with the latter, but no one really knows, unless Mike and Bruce discovered a meaning in their book research.

Quote Originally Posted by balkslak View Post
    The stock is also marked with a P above the serial number, any ideas to it's meaning?

Thank you all for participating in this interesting discussion. The rear sight is matching the rest of the rifle and the front sight is marked WaA280. The stock a bit fragile so I’m not sure if I’m wanting to take the action out of the stock.IMG_3644.JPGIMG_3643.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's even stranger. A Mauser made barrel with Erma/Feima rear and front sight bases. And judging by the condition of the stock I could understand why you don't want to remove it from it. If you don't mind could you do a close up picture of the barrel on the left side of the stock?
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

just a guess, but after the rifle got the firing proofs, maybe the factory decided to improve the headspace, hence the hidden serial number and firing proof. i suppose there would be another proof mark after they did that so i guess it's not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Barrel is off a very late 42/1940, or very early byf/41, it should be serialed for sure and have a "D" on the barrel shoulder. Really can't be ERMA, or any other maker, as Mauser was greedy with barrels. They generally do not share barrels with others.
    I noticed on this 1940 dated u block 42 K98 I owned previously the barrel is marked very similarly to this 1940 ax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is really little doubt that this barrel is 42/1940 or byf/41, it can't be otherwise, - certainly not ERMA made.

This 8290 42/1940 could be a u-block, but it is far more likely a "LL-block", they look the same when the suffix hugs the stock line like this (which is common for Mauser, they typically obscure the suffix on the barrel due to this tendency)

The serial on the barrel is the only way to say whether this is off a 42/1940 or byf/41, in either case it would probably fall in the range of a barrel shoulder "D", but the serial will tell what exactly it came off of, though it is next to impossible for it to be anything other than a Mauser barrel.

I suspect the rotation was intentional, this being a modern re-barrel, probably to restore a deactivation or change out a Norwegian barrel perhaps. All designed to make it more collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by balkslak View Post
    I noticed on this 1940 dated u block 42 K98 I owned previously the barrel is marked very similarly to this 1940 ax.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    ..I suspect the rotation was intentional, this being a modern re-barrel, probably to restore a deactivation or change out a Norwegian barrel perhaps. All designed to make it more collectible.
    That's quite plausible and certainly doable of course. I can't see any other real reason and in both those scenarios the RSB and front sight would still be there.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"