Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P.38 cyq 0 series

That is a nice one!

I hate selling things, because I usually regret it down the road...I've sold some nice stuff I wish I had back!

The other interesting thing about these "0" series is how they went from stamping the serials to engraving with a pantograph around the 03000 range....

I was thrilled to get mine, they are very cool....

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger 2 Tank View Post
    ..nothing special about it other than it has a lot of pot hole “craters” (not too big) in the metal here and there. Just shows the crappy quality of the metal.
    I've seen 4 z block recently, including the one I bought and every one has several decent sized ones in the slide. Those must have been some ugly blanks. Also they have the large sweeping milling marks missing on this 0 block. Strange but also interesting.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    That is a nice one!

I hate selling things, because I usually regret it down the road...I've sold some nice stuff I wish I had back!

The other interesting thing about these "0" series is how they went from stamping the serials to engraving with a pantograph around the 03000 range....

I was thrilled to get mine, they are very cool....
    Yours, if I remember right, was about like this one condition wise. It was sure a nice one and not an easy find. Probably the best one in the bunch of P.38’s the seller had. I went to that store a week or so later after the show and picked up a decent late PP mag for $100 bucks and a gorgeous late blued Radom mag for $35 bucks!

The main problem with these late Spreewerk P.38’s are that most are dipped. The Russians got ahold of them and just slathered that black crap all over them. So finding an original finish super late Spreewerk is really difficult.

Yes, they did start the engraving on the serial numbers on these later on. I forgot they did that.
    Last edited by Tiger 2 Tank; 02-05-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    I've seen 4 z block recently, including the one I bought and every one has several decent sized ones in the slide. Those must have been some ugly blanks. Also they have the large sweeping milling marks missing on this 0 block. Strange but also interesting.
    And don’t forget the odd “criss cross” heavy mill marks too Spreewerk pistols have sometimes. I’ve always wanted one like that, but haven’t found one yet condition wise that I could live with.

https://pre98.com/shop/gone-but-not-...ol-mint-crisp/

Okay, that one looks way nicer than the one I had, if it’s not dipped. Again, photos are hard to tell from on these. I’ve been taught to really watch the wear patterns and corners. Also, we would need photos of the locking block pin (all the way extended outward) to see what’s going on with it. I am absolutely not saying it’s dipped, but these you have to look at many things on them to confirm it’s not.

Here’s a couple of areas that I would be concerned about:

F3C16C96-8A8F-4DB3-B953-B103B58B9667.jpegD2CF2D4F-FE81-4C1D-BDE2-8CC2421413B2.jpeg

Again, I wouldn’t be ready to declare it a dipped piece, but these areas may point in that direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tiger 2 Tank; 02-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Series 01-06435 was made on April 1945.
    Last edited by martas_v; 04-20-2019 at 01:47 PM.