Third Party Press

Thread: German WW2 Mosquito Head Net vs. Postwar

Default German WW2 Mosquito Head Net vs. Postwar

If there is something wrong with you and you collect field gear and things like German WW2 helmet nets for mosquitos and flies, then you've wondered what the difference is between a German wartime net and the millions of postwar BW nets sold as wartime. Years ago for $35 I purchased the "original" German WW2 headnet you see which is the more olive shade. It's postwar, about $10. These are often sold as wartime. The mückennetz was an essential piece of German issue gear, particularly for North Afrika. They were an issue item, particularly as part of tropical issue. There are plenty of period photographs of these in use for insect use and concealment for sniping, etc. They are effective and necessary if you're around gnats and mosquitoes. You know this if you've lived down South. I will put the BW postwar one to good use. I already keep one in the pocket of my hunting jacket.

In any event, the original is the lighter green. Note the following with respect to the original wartime mückennetz vs. postwar: 1) light / "Kelly green" vs. OD or darker; 2) original is larger; 3) mesh holes are lightly larger in original 4) construction and materials of the tie area are different; and 5) the wartime version is maker stamped and dated. The most common original variant is marked "BEHA GmbH Berlin 1943" (or 1942).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hambone; 03-22-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Thanks for posting this. Glad mine is original.

Fit on helmet?

I could swear I saw a pic of a net put on a helmet with a band holding it on for camo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jack944 View Post
    Fit on helmet?

I could swear I saw a pic of a net put on a helmet with a band holding it on for camo effect.
    Yes, it was designed to go over a helmet. They were used for camouflage as well. There are period pics of snipers and observers using them. I keep a modern one for hunting use for this purpose too. This type material is built into the hoods of same camo garments as a face veil. Your face shines.
    Last edited by Hambone; 02-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Big Sexy Steve (not gay) Steve87's Avatar

Very interesting! Can't say I've ever had either type before.

-Steve

Well Steve, this may be the most mundane and boring topic here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big Sexy Steve (not gay) Steve87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Well Steve, this may be the most mundane and boring topic here.
    Not for me! I actually have an appreciation for these 'boring' items. I've noticed this is the the sort of thing fakers make some extra money on, they hope the collector will think 'There's no way they would fake that!' but these little items are faked and misrepresented all the time. Sort of reminds me of the epic toilet paper saga, they would "never fake that".

Cheers,
    -Steve

Nice lesson on them will keep in mind thank you. timothy