Third Party Press

98k Auction with Fake Capture Paper

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
I got all excited seeing the thumbnail of this photo thinking I finally found a 98k with papers. :facepalm: Wrong. Please do not purchase the papers as original. These are the really bad copies from ebay.

If you want me to, I can post the auction links.

Attachments

• For 98k Forum.png
    For 98k Forum.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 112
  • 207-10.jpg
    207-10.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 207-22.jpg
    207-22.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 207-23.jpg
    207-23.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 111
  • 163-5.jpg
    163-5.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 163-6.jpg
    163-6.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 93
Yeesh. I collect capture papers, and I hate when I search on eBay and see the listing for those fake papers pop up. I love the exaggerated aging to the papers and the hand writing that makes it look like a 6 year old wrote them out.

The writing on the pistol sounds more like an auction listing than the papers I've seen: "Includes holster with 2 magazines".

Please share the listings. It's clear the same person is behind them and I would like to avoid buying anything from this seller.

fake Id

Yeesh. I collect capture papers, and I hate when I search on eBay and see the listing for those fake papers pop up. I love the exaggerated aging to the papers and the hand writing that makes it look like a 6 year old wrote them out.

The writing on the pistol sounds more like an auction listing than the papers I've seen: "Includes holster with 2 magazines".

Please share the listings. It's clear the same person is behind them and I would like to avoid buying anything from this seller.

Thanks....what are the usual signs that give away something like this as fake...ink types, writing style??

Yea, dates are off. Handwriting is terrible.

There is a guy that sells these for 20 bucks a pop on ebay. They are on modern paper and printed with an inkjet. In hand, you would know in a second looking closely at it. I just call these the ebay fakes. My first closeup shows a photo of how to identify these. Luckily they copied one with a line through a section of it so they stand out like a sore thumb.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-BLANK-U-S-ARMY-CAPTURE-PAPER-CERTIFICATE-MINT-CONDITION-No-Reserve/264170283612?hash=item3d81c6a25c:g:gC4AAOSweWVXdqiv:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

His bogus "vet bring back" story is hilarious. Does anybody actually fall for that crap or is it just an inside joke between humping cronies?

Thanks....what are the usual signs that give away something like this as fake...ink types, writing style??

Two different "officials" signed and filled out the forms but miraculously the hand written word German is identical on both forms.
Oh, it was the same clerk who filled out the form for different officers to sign? Well, then how come the clerk wrote the date the American way on one form and the Euro way on the other?

Yea, dates are off. Handwriting is terrible.

There is a guy that sells these for 20 bucks a pop on ebay. They are on modern paper and printed with an inkjet.

The smarter ones get old books from yard sales and use the blank pages for printing their bogus forms. Makes them pass the UV light test.
Then comes the usual tea leaf/coffee treatment for age appropriate appearance. There's a movie about the guy who created the fake Hitler diaries a couple decades ago. Shows some of the fakers' tricks.

Another trick that a local military dealer who also graces the Max and SOS, is to take original paper that was made out to a pistol but no a serial number. Many years ago I sold a nice ac44 P38 to him, a year later I stumble across the pistol on Auction Arms, the pistol then was sporting capture papers with my former p38's serial number. Called him on it and he admitted to the forgery and removed him from my contacts.. So in essence original paper, 90% original period theater content with a bogus serial.

I have many capture papers that list the the item, i.e. pistol rifle etc., however they have no serial numbers. This is very common in the PTO theater, "1 Jap Rifle", however capture papers in the PTO are much scarcer IMO.

Jeff

Thanks for posting this Uga. I am going to make this a reference pic sticky I think, if we don't have one.

Just so everyone knows, I keep records of every paper I come across. I keep special note of papers without serial numbers or without firearms. So far I have seen 2 gunless papers magically appear with guns later. I have also matched 2 papers with firearms. I am trying my best to keep fakes away.

Military Rifle Journal
Back