Third Party Press

DUFFLE CUT , To Repair or Not to Repair, That IS The Question ...

ac556

Hi all. I have a dou. 43. with a very light blonde looking stock w/red glue. Very pretty. Has been cut under the second band. The parts are complete, and fit back very nicely, but can be pulled apart.. At one time it was sort of fixed , but has come apart before I acquired it. I have had it for a couple of years now, not fixed yet, but considering.

My question is, would a good epoxy fix hurt the value, or would I be better off to just leave it cut ? The repair would not be visible with the band on. I know there is about an even split on whether duffle cuts hurt the value of a rifle, so I'm trying to decide if the repair will help or hurt the value. Let me know what you think.

edit : IMG_1350.jpgIMG_1350.jpgIMG_1354 (1).jpgIMG_1361.jpgIMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg shooting it is not a priority. I could just pull the front part off and go shoot.

Thank You ...

Last edited:
My vote...if you aren't hell bent on shooting it, leave it.

If it stays together well with the bands and rod in place, why mess with it...

I don't fix any of mine....

If I really wanted to, I'd have Flynaked do it...

My vote...if you aren't hell bent on shooting it, leave it.

If it stays together well with the bands and rod in place, why mess with it...

I don't fix any of mine....

If I really wanted to, I'd have Flynaked do it...

I'll second what pzjgr has said. Flynaked is the guy if you gotta have it fixed. He does fantastic work.
Ken

It looks like a very nice gun, well done! As said prior I would leave it alone. its been +70 years and hasn't been done yet so dont mess with it. Its so nice I wouldnt even shoot it. Get a nice bolt mm gun or a RC and shoot it and shoot the bore out of it. It's your gun and you do what you want with it, this is just what I would personally do.

Seriously zero offense intended but I probably wouldn’t bother fixing a sanded rifle anyway, unless your intention was to shoot it, the potential value benefit (to some) would pretty much be negated by the later. Also I agree with the others, I don’t personally see a need to fix duffle cuts on rifles I don’t shoot, I keep a beater for that!

Seriously zero offense intended but I probably wouldn’t bother fixing a sanded rifle anyway, unless your intention was to shoot it, the potential value benefit (to some) would pretty much be negated by the later. Also I agree with the others, I don’t personally see a need to fix duffle cuts on rifles I don’t shoot, I keep a beater for that!

Hello, I have been told you are the go to guy for a good fix. (stock fix, that is). I have decided to leave it as is. The reason I considered the "fix" is because it has had a previous attempt at a fix and has a kinda stick, dowel rod, type piece of wood already in it, that the glue came apart.

I had previously wondered, (when I first got it), if someone had maybe put a light finish on the stock. I have since seen a few that look like it on line, and two in person that look just like it, all with the exact same finish to the wood. When the barrel/action is out of the stock, it looks like the stock was finished before the channel was milled. The finish stops exactly at the milling. No bleed over. No type of finish on the takedown disc or recoil lug. The finish has a dull sheen to it, but doesn't seem to have a thick or gooey feel to it. Not as smooth as it looks.

The buttplate still has the red coating in it (80-85%). The rifle is all matching except for the mag floor plate, which appears to have been there for a while, because the finish wear matches everything around it..

So. . . Is it possible that this is an original finish, or did the others I have seen just happen to come out the same as mine ?
Are there any pics you would need to help determine it's authenticity?

Comments appreciated... Thank You ...

Military Rifle Journal
Back