Third Party Press

RG34 Components

pwcosol

Last week a friend sent me a small lot of three RG34 components which were excess and just lying about. The HKW is a like-new "64" code, oiler is a MUNDLOS | 1940 and the chain I found most interesting of all. It appears to be a later pattern KKW piece. Thought I saw a photo of one of these in the past. However, did not see any reference photos on the more advanced website resources (unless I missed it). Thoughts & comments welcome...

Attachments

• RG34 Comps a.JPG
    RG34 Comps a.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 43
  • RG34 Comps b.JPG
    RG34 Comps b.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for the leads. Went to the first website but didn't see the chain. Also have Patrick's excellent book on the RG34 but did not spot the chain in there, either. Will check out the other site...

If you’re a member of the WAF forum there is a pinned thread that shows many variations of these. It is found on the field gear and equipment forum.

Regards,
Mike

You may find this useful: http://rg34.blogspot.com/?m=1. I believe he or another person was selling an rg34 book on the forum trader.

Regards,
Mike

I'm the author of the web page but NOT the author of the rg34 book, although this last one has copied and traslated to French the text of many pages from my web and used on it. I have not updated these pages in the last years and there are some mistakes on them, and the book also !

With regard to the 5,6 mm cleaning chain, observing the non rotating patch loop and the type of S links, points to post war manufacture.

Antoni

I'm the author of the web page but NOT the author of the rg34 book, although this last one has copied and translated to French the text of many pages from my web and used on it. I have not updated these pages in the last years and there are some mistakes on them, and the book also ! With regard to the 5,6mm cleaning chain, observing the non rotating patch loop and the type of S links, points to post war manufacture.
Antoni

Thanks for the info, Antoni. Regarding the chain, I was thinking those made for the HK93 (5.56mm) rifle are quite similar to the WW2 KKW type. If memory serves, they don't have the weight at the end and the simplified patch loop is not as crudely stamped out as is the one on the chain in question. Pictured is the RG which came with my HK G3 5.56 conversion kit. It does have a weight at the end, split crimped beads, and simplified clip. The relief cut for the chain on the weight is shorter than that seen on the one in question. Also note the patch clip is better made and the larger hole for the wire loop. There was a 5.56 conversion kit for the W. German G1. No cleaning kit was supplied with it in the box. Likely that kit came in a traditional RG34 tin like the earlier G3 kits did, and was similar to the one made during WW2, which might explain the chain in my first post...

Attachments

• HKG3 ESL a.JPG
    HKG3 ESL a.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 21
  • HKG3 ESL b.JPG
    HKG3 ESL b.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Last week a friend sent me a small lot of three RG34 components which were excess and just lying about. The HKW is a like-new "64" code, oiler is a MUNDLOS | 1940 and the chain I found most interesting of all. It appears to be a later pattern KKW piece. Thought I saw a photo of one of these in the past. However, did not see any reference photos on the more advanced website resources (unless I missed it). Thoughts & comments welcome...

We had that type of chains in service till the mid 1980s, but I do not know where and when they were manufactured.
Sorry!

Military Rifle Journal
Back