Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luftwaffe Fighting Knife

Nice one, these are really cool. Here is mine
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....t-5-boot-knife
    Mint one can bring a 50% premium over a sharpened one from what I have seen.

Big Sexy Steve (not gay) Steve87's Avatar

I'm surprised these combat knives are not a more popular topic, but they are not exactly common either.

ugafx4 - Your knife is an original Luftwaffen-Kampfmesser. The S is a late war acceptance stamping not a maker's mark. Possibly a later replacement for the Luftamt 5/6 acceptance stamp. As already noted a W stamping has aiso been observed. The same S stamping can also be found on a very few late period second model Flieger-Kappmesser by SMF. As HB stated there has also been discussion that the S & W stamping is a commercial marking or perhaps an acceptance mark from another authority, outside of the Luftwaffe.

This is NOT the same type of combat knife as shown in the famous photograph from the Ardennes. I have attached a higher resolution version of that photograph to show detail. Note the handle contour and grooves as well as the thick diamond shaped crossguard. Also the single scabbard clip of this kampfmesser as compared to the "triple spring" clip of the Luftwaffe knives. The knife in the photo is actually of the variation marked with arrow in the attached image from my collection. These Kampfmesser or perhaps Infanteriemesser are unmarked and by an unknown maker although they are certainly period. Examples exist with and without the factory applied grooves to the wooden grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big Sexy Steve (not gay) Steve87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    ugafx4 - Your knife is an original Luftwaffen-Kampfmesser. The S is a late war acceptance stamping not a maker's mark. Possibly a later replacement for the Luftamt 5/6 acceptance stamp. As already noted a W stamping has aiso been observed. The same S stamping can also be found on a very few late period second model Flieger-Kappmesser by SMF. As HB stated there has also been discussion that the S & W stamping is a commercial marking or perhaps an acceptance mark from another authority, outside of the Luftwaffe.

This is NOT the same type of combat knife as shown in the famous photograph from the Ardennes. I have attached a higher resolution version of that photograph to show detail. Note the handle contour and grooves as well as the thick diamond shaped crossguard. Also the single scabbard clip of this kampfmesser as compared to the "triple spring" clip of the Luftwaffe knives. The knife in the photo is actually of the variation marked with arrow in the attached image from my collection. These Kampfmesser or perhaps Infanteriemesser are unmarked and by an unknown maker although they are certainly period. Examples exist with and without the factory applied grooves to the wooden grips.
    Great info Slash, thanks for the extra detail!

-Steve

Here is mine. Marked 5. It is razor sharp.

Just to add a Luftamt 6 marked variant...

These are very cool little knices, but I have read you didn't want to be captured with one, the GI's frowned on these, but I am sure loved taking them as booty!

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    It is true that it is a knife. I calling BS on the upgrade which I think is simply postwar pimping.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post

No, not a bit of truth to this. "Deluxe Model" WTF?

Whatever it takes to sell it. Doesn’t even look like good Bubba knife pimping, piss poor fitting and brass rivets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.