Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New purchase! First K98

Default New purchase! First K98

Hello all i am finally apart of this club and have purchased my first K98. I have a bunch of pictures and questions to ask. The owner prior had bought this with the current scope and scope mount on it. He never had the rear sight in his ownership. He said he never got around to shooting it besides one time and had it for a while. I have purchased a new rear sight off off Liberty Tree Collectors. I am unsure of what the stamp on top of the receiver is due to the scope mount on it. I also am not sure that if this is an Original prewar K98. I understand it has the features of a prewar K98 but the stock is very clean and bolt is amazing condition for being built pre 39/40. It did come with some goodies that are shown, not shown is a tripple mag pouch with a date of 1941 stamped into the leather. Any info you guys have would be nice ill leave a link below to my pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/ThcWbKO

Do a search for "Mitchell's Mausers." That will explain everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by pureblindman View Post
    Hello all i am finally apart of this club and have purchased my first K98. I have a bunch of pictures and questions to ask. The owner prior had bought this with the current scope and scope mount on it. He never had the rear sight in his ownership. He said he never got around to shooting it besides one time and had it for a while. I have purchased a new rear sight off off Liberty Tree Collectors. I am unsure of what the stamp on top of the receiver is due to the scope mount on it. I also am not sure that if this is an Original prewar K98. I understand it has the features of a prewar K98 but the stock is very clean and bolt is amazing condition for being built pre 39/40. It did come with some goodies that are shown, not shown is a tripple mag pouch with a date of 1941 stamped into the leather. Any info you guys have would be nice ill leave a link below to my pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/ThcWbKO
    Welcome to the forum, the rifle appears to be a Russian capture originally produced by Mauser Borsigwalde. Unfortunately the scope mount is not original to the rifle.

For what it's worth I hope you have fun shooting it.
    TRUTH IS HEAVY, FEW THEREFORE CAN BEAR IT.

So i took off that scope and bubba mount. Underneath the mount was 243 and 1939 which from what i gathered was a Mauser AG Borsigwalde. Now im new and not familiar with what any these codes mean or what they are worth. but ill send a link to the photo in imgur again. thank you guys for all the help.

https://imgur.com/a/PUtj30J

I really hope you didn't pay to much for this. It is a Mitchells Mauser former russian capture. It was rebuilt, Numbers all grinded off amd renumbered to appear as all matching. Then being drilled for a modern scope the small value has been eliminated to a shooter only. Originally a Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde.

MM used those overstamped asterisks for years to disguise the Russian Capture "X" markings
    Last edited by MIKEMC; 02-10-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEMC View Post
    I really hope you didn't pay to much for this. It is a Mitchells Mauser former russian capture. It was rebuilt, Numbers all grinded off amd renumbered to appear as all matching. Then being drilled for a modern scope the small value has been eliminated to a shooter only. Originally a Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde.

MM used those overstamped asterisks for years to disguise the Russian Capture "X" markings
    Ah i had my hopes kinda high. not sure what the going rate for a michells is but i paid 9 for it. I am going to try and get the holes fixed properly from a gunsmith. Now Knowing its not fully original then i have more ease of mind getting it fixed and not ruining the numbers. still want to try and keep the numbers showing.

Quote Originally Posted by pureblindman View Post
    Ah i had my hopes kinda high. not sure what the going rate for a michells is but i paid 9 for it. I am going to try and get the holes fixed properly from a gunsmith. Now Knowing its not fully original then i have more ease of mind getting it fixed and not ruining the numbers. still want to try and keep the numbers showing.
    You paid 9 for it. Do you mean $900? Try to get your money back. You paid double or perhaps triple what itís worth.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Omg!!!! I am so sorry. You need to get your money back.
    You have a 200 rifle. Its not even a shooter to you get and install the rear sight.
    Please say you can return it. You can get a nice RC around here for 400.

1k and patiently should be able to find an all original or mostly original.
    Can I ask where you got that one? Marlboro Gun show?