Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: New purchase! First K98

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEMC View Post
    1k and patiently should be able to find an all original or mostly original.
    Can I ask where you got that one? Marlboro Gun show?
    no i ordered online off arms list. was very optimistic about it. and knew that it had the holes but im a little happy that its a clean K98 but little bummed that i paid way too much for it.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Sorry that you have been taken advantage of. Unfortunately it is very clean because Mitchell's took a bunch of k98 parts, completely grinded off the numbers, stamped new matching numbers, polished everything including the stock. Then sold as a original matching ww2 K98 in brand new condition.

  3. #13
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pureblindman View Post
    no i ordered online off arms list. was very optimistic about it. and knew that it had the holes but im a little happy that its a clean K98 but little bummed that i paid way too much for it.
    It happens. To be honest, if you wanted a shooter then this is it. You could have the holes fixed but i wouldn't spend any money doing it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you are not the first (or the last) to overpay or buy something advertised as something other than what it is. Keep a positive attitude and use it as a springboard. I over payed immensely for my first 98k which turned out to be a Yugo capture - I still have it as a reminder of where I started. At least your first has German markings on it, mine was completely scrubbed save for a few waffenamts. You could probably sell it for $400-500 so I'm not sure where people thing it's a $300 gun, even as a Mitchells its worth more than $300 - the drilled receiver hurts the value but a shootable 98k is not $300 anywhere, stock sets are $200 and bolts fetch $125 minimum.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  4. #14
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    ..you are not the first (or the last) to overpay or buy something advertised as something other than what it is. Keep a positive attitude and use it as a springboard. I over payed immensely for my first 98k.

    ..You could probably sell it for $400-500 so I'm not sure where people thing it's a $300 gun, even as a Mitchells its worth more than $300 - the drilled receiver hurts the value but a shootable 98k is not $300 anywhere, stock sets are $200 and bolts fetch $125 minimum.
    Good points all around Mike. I was thinking the same thing about it being a springboard AND a pretty valuable learning experience.

    As to the second part I really have to agree. I'm seeing nicer stock 'sets' well north of 250 and up. Sometimes way up depending on condition. Sometimes I think the crazy low prices people quote are either estate auctions or the seller totally doesn't know what they have or current values.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in spšteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie KŁssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben mŁssen"

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Just picked this RC for 400 at my LGS. The bore is beautiful. I didn't really need it, but RC,s are showing up and they are pricing them for what they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    It happens. To be honest, if you wanted a shooter then this is it. You could have the holes fixed but i wouldn't spend any money doing it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you are not the first (or the last) to overpay or buy something advertised as something other than what it is. Keep a positive attitude and use it as a springboard. I over payed immensely for my first 98k which turned out to be a Yugo capture - I still have it as a reminder of where I started. At least your first has German markings on it, mine was completely scrubbed save for a few waffenamts. You could probably sell it for $400-500 so I'm not sure where people thing it's a $300 gun, even as a Mitchells its worth more than $300 - the drilled receiver hurts the value but a shootable 98k is not $300 anywhere, stock sets are $200 and bolts fetch $125 minimum.
    A stock set thatís been belt sanded, bleached and restamped isnít worth $200 these days, is it? Not that Iím aware of I guess, although I could be out of touch. And a bolt thatís been buffed mirror bright to the point that itís lost itís contours and sharp edges is worth $125? I hear you that K98 parts have value, but basically every part of this gun has been altered past the point of usability in a decent restoration. Maybe the striker spring and firing pin are still stock in appearance? The mag spring maybe?
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

  7. #17
    Senior Member grimlin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Close to the vortex in Oregon
    Posts
    362

    Default

    I sent the OP a pm explaining how the Russians reworked the captured K98k s. Then I told him what MM did to the RCs that they get. I did all this yesterday so he knows what it is and what it isn`t. If he keeps it he should just enjoy shooting the hell out of it.
    " Hey, I got it from a long time dealer in Third Reich militaria years ago, so you know it`s real." Over heard comment at a table.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8

    Default

    So i been poking around on websites with people selling K98s and i keep seeing mitchels mausers priced around what i pay why is that? are they trying to get another lucky new buyer? also i dont totally feel that bad the extra scrap money i had paid this off so its like it never touched my wallet that bad but it kinda sucks knowing i couldve had something authentic. But thanks for all the feed back guys. i really do like the rifle and plan on shooting this weekend if its nice out.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEMC View Post
    Just picked this RC for 400 at my LGS. The bore is beautiful. I didn't really need it, but RC,s are showing up and they are pricing them for what they are.

    I like the pre-war funiture of the K98 and the build quality id love to snag an original wartime K98. most the local stuff is non German mausers or Yugos at my LGS here. lovely snag you got.

  10. #20
    Senior Member WreckTangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Mike's right. Everyone has to start somewhere and we all have.

    Some learn harder than others. I was one of the ones that learned hard. I wanted a K98 for the longest time, went after and won three on an online auction without seeing them in person. We will leave it at they weren't what I thought they were. About 5th months later, an un-issued, all matching and unmolested DOT43 (hard to find in any condition) with the best bore I've ever seen from a 101st Airborne's estate came up at a local live auction 2 miles from my house (in the middle of no where) and it went for $800 for a $3000 rifle. Didn't have the money because of my first purchase mistake.

    Lesson learned. Hang out here, ask questions and you will learn a ton. It's a great community. And, if your serious about collecting get Mike's books.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •