Third Party Press

New purchase! First K98

Hello all i am finally apart of this club and have purchased my first K98. I have a bunch of pictures and questions to ask. The owner prior had bought this with the current scope and scope mount on it. He never had the rear sight in his ownership. He said he never got around to shooting it besides one time and had it for a while. I have purchased a new rear sight off off Liberty Tree Collectors. I am unsure of what the stamp on top of the receiver is due to the scope mount on it. I also am not sure that if this is an Original prewar K98. I understand it has the features of a prewar K98 but the stock is very clean and bolt is amazing condition for being built pre 39/40. It did come with some goodies that are shown, not shown is a tripple mag pouch with a date of 1941 stamped into the leather. Any info you guys have would be nice ill leave a link below to my pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/ThcWbKO

Hello all i am finally apart of this club and have purchased my first K98. I have a bunch of pictures and questions to ask. The owner prior had bought this with the current scope and scope mount on it. He never had the rear sight in his ownership. He said he never got around to shooting it besides one time and had it for a while. I have purchased a new rear sight off off Liberty Tree Collectors. I am unsure of what the stamp on top of the receiver is due to the scope mount on it. I also am not sure that if this is an Original prewar K98. I understand it has the features of a prewar K98 but the stock is very clean and bolt is amazing condition for being built pre 39/40. It did come with some goodies that are shown, not shown is a tripple mag pouch with a date of 1941 stamped into the leather. Any info you guys have would be nice ill leave a link below to my pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/ThcWbKO

Welcome to the forum, the rifle appears to be a Russian capture originally produced by Mauser Borsigwalde. Unfortunately the scope mount is not original to the rifle.

So i took off that scope and bubba mount. Underneath the mount was 243 and 1939 which from what i gathered was a Mauser AG Borsigwalde. Now im new and not familiar with what any these codes mean or what they are worth. but ill send a link to the photo in imgur again. thank you guys for all the help.

https://imgur.com/a/PUtj30J

I really hope you didn't pay to much for this. It is a Mitchells Mauser former russian capture. It was rebuilt, Numbers all grinded off amd renumbered to appear as all matching. Then being drilled for a modern scope the small value has been eliminated to a shooter only. Originally a Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde.

MM used those overstamped asterisks for years to disguise the Russian Capture "X" markings

Last edited:
I really hope you didn't pay to much for this. It is a Mitchells Mauser former russian capture. It was rebuilt, Numbers all grinded off amd renumbered to appear as all matching. Then being drilled for a modern scope the small value has been eliminated to a shooter only. Originally a Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde.

MM used those overstamped asterisks for years to disguise the Russian Capture "X" markings

Ah i had my hopes kinda high. not sure what the going rate for a michells is but i paid 9 for it. I am going to try and get the holes fixed properly from a gunsmith. Now Knowing its not fully original then i have more ease of mind getting it fixed and not ruining the numbers. still want to try and keep the numbers showing.

Ah i had my hopes kinda high. not sure what the going rate for a michells is but i paid 9 for it. I am going to try and get the holes fixed properly from a gunsmith. Now Knowing its not fully original then i have more ease of mind getting it fixed and not ruining the numbers. still want to try and keep the numbers showing.

You paid 9 for it. Do you mean $900? Try to get your money back. You paid double or perhaps triple what it’s worth.

Omg!!!! I am so sorry. You need to get your money back. :facepalm:
You have a 200 rifle. Its not even a shooter to you get and install the rear sight.
Please say you can return it. You can get a nice RC around here for 400.

1k and patiently should be able to find an all original or mostly original.
Can I ask where you got that one? Marlboro Gun show?

1k and patiently should be able to find an all original or mostly original.
Can I ask where you got that one? Marlboro Gun show?

no i ordered online off arms list. was very optimistic about it. and knew that it had the holes but im a little happy that its a clean K98 but little bummed that i paid way too much for it.

Sorry that you have been taken advantage of. Unfortunately it is very clean because Mitchell's took a bunch of k98 parts, completely grinded off the numbers, stamped new matching numbers, polished everything including the stock. Then sold as a original matching ww2 K98 in brand new condition.

no i ordered online off arms list. was very optimistic about it. and knew that it had the holes but im a little happy that its a clean K98 but little bummed that i paid way too much for it.

It happens. To be honest, if you wanted a shooter then this is it. You could have the holes fixed but i wouldn't spend any money doing it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you are not the first (or the last) to overpay or buy something advertised as something other than what it is. Keep a positive attitude and use it as a springboard. I over payed immensely for my first 98k which turned out to be a Yugo capture - I still have it as a reminder of where I started. At least your first has German markings on it, mine was completely scrubbed save for a few waffenamts. You could probably sell it for $400-500 so I'm not sure where people thing it's a $300 gun, even as a Mitchells its worth more than $300 - the drilled receiver hurts the value but a shootable 98k is not $300 anywhere, stock sets are $200 and bolts fetch $125 minimum.

..you are not the first (or the last) to overpay or buy something advertised as something other than what it is. Keep a positive attitude and use it as a springboard. I over payed immensely for my first 98k.

..You could probably sell it for $400-500 so I'm not sure where people thing it's a $300 gun, even as a Mitchells its worth more than $300 - the drilled receiver hurts the value but a shootable 98k is not $300 anywhere, stock sets are $200 and bolts fetch $125 minimum.

Good points all around Mike. I was thinking the same thing about it being a springboard AND a pretty valuable learning experience.

As to the second part I really have to agree. I'm seeing nicer stock 'sets' well north of 250 and up. Sometimes way up depending on condition. Sometimes I think the crazy low prices people quote are either estate auctions or the seller totally doesn't know what they have or current values.

Just picked this RC for 400 at my LGS. The bore is beautiful. I didn't really need it, but RC,s are showing up and they are pricing them for what they are.

Attachments

• 20190210_113703.jpg
    20190210_113703.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190210_113711.jpg
    20190210_113711.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190210_113732.jpg
    20190210_113732.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190210_113736.jpg
    20190210_113736.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190210_113846.jpg
    20190210_113846.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 23
It happens. To be honest, if you wanted a shooter then this is it. You could have the holes fixed but i wouldn't spend any money doing it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you are not the first (or the last) to overpay or buy something advertised as something other than what it is. Keep a positive attitude and use it as a springboard. I over payed immensely for my first 98k which turned out to be a Yugo capture - I still have it as a reminder of where I started. At least your first has German markings on it, mine was completely scrubbed save for a few waffenamts. You could probably sell it for $400-500 so I'm not sure where people thing it's a $300 gun, even as a Mitchells its worth more than $300 - the drilled receiver hurts the value but a shootable 98k is not $300 anywhere, stock sets are $200 and bolts fetch $125 minimum.

A stock set that’s been belt sanded, bleached and restamped isn’t worth $200 these days, is it? Not that I’m aware of I guess, although I could be out of touch. And a bolt that’s been buffed mirror bright to the point that it’s lost it’s contours and sharp edges is worth $125? I hear you that K98 parts have value, but basically every part of this gun has been altered past the point of usability in a decent restoration. Maybe the striker spring and firing pin are still stock in appearance? The mag spring maybe?

I sent the OP a pm explaining how the Russians reworked the captured K98k s. Then I told him what MM did to the RCs that they get. I did all this yesterday so he knows what it is and what it isn`t. If he keeps it he should just enjoy shooting the hell out of it.

So i been poking around on websites with people selling K98s and i keep seeing mitchels mausers priced around what i pay why is that? are they trying to get another lucky new buyer? also i dont totally feel that bad the extra scrap money i had paid this off so its like it never touched my wallet that bad but it kinda sucks knowing i couldve had something authentic. But thanks for all the feed back guys. i really do like the rifle and plan on shooting this weekend if its nice out.

Just picked this RC for 400 at my LGS. The bore is beautiful. I didn't really need it, but RC,s are showing up and they are pricing them for what they are.

I like the pre-war funiture of the K98 and the build quality id love to snag an original wartime K98. most the local stuff is non German mausers or Yugos at my LGS here. lovely snag you got.

Mike's right. Everyone has to start somewhere and we all have.

Some learn harder than others. I was one of the ones that learned hard. I wanted a K98 for the longest time, went after and won three on an online auction without seeing them in person. We will leave it at they weren't what I thought they were. About 5th months later, an un-issued, all matching and unmolested DOT43 (hard to find in any condition) with the best bore I've ever seen from a 101st Airborne's estate came up at a local live auction 2 miles from my house (in the middle of no where) and it went for $800 for a $3000 rifle. Didn't have the money because of my first purchase mistake.

Lesson learned. Hang out here, ask questions and you will learn a ton. It's a great community. And, if your serious about collecting get Mike's books.

Military Rifle Journal
Back