Third Party Press

DSM-34 (Waffenstadt Suhl) Stock Refinishing

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
Got this 1935 Waffenstadt Suhl a few months ago for a pretty good deal. Several problems: 1) Everything is covered in a heavy could of gloss varnish 2) It's missing it's handguard 3) The stock is warped--when I fit another handguard from a different rifle it makes it so tight that it bends the barrel.

You can see some pictures of the rifle here:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?33956-My-New-1935-WaffenStadt-Suhl

Before I start the refinishing process I want to remove all metal from the stock. Can anyone tell me how to remove 1) the sling stud AND 2) the take down disk? See attached pictures:

Attachments

• Waffenstadt_Resized_01 (2).jpg
    Waffenstadt_Resized_01 (2).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Waffenstadt_Resized_01.jpg
    Waffenstadt_Resized_01.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Waffenstadt_Resized_02.jpg
    Waffenstadt_Resized_02.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Waffenstadt_Resized_03.jpg
    Waffenstadt_Resized_03.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 43
The TD disks are not removable The stud has that nut on the left side that is threaded onto the stud's stem. Use care to not bugger the slots, as that is one of the tell tale items I look at to determine how "untouched" the rifle is.

They make an attachment in my 'smithing tool set that makes this easier. It's u-shaped with prongs that engage the slots.... though the prongs needed to be filed down slightly to truly fit.

don't bother.. just use stripper it wont hurt the metal anyways. more damage can be done trying to remove them.. Lez in Poland makes great drop in hand guards and send him a clear shot of the wood color and grain and he can match it. The hand guard might just need to be opened up on the inside a bit.

That stock is severely warped, I’ve seen a couple k98 stocks like this too. It either sat apart from the action for a long time experiencing extreme changes in humidity or was still too “green” when it was made. Nothing you do to the handguard will fix that, that’s a bad warp. I agree with the others, I would not bother removing the takedown disc, while it is removable it would take some special tooling to do and it’s not available. They are a flared tube at a minor angle, somewhere around 10-15* There are some truly bubba ways to do it I’ve seen people mention online, please don’t try those. For the spanner nut on the stud, as mentioned these tools are available, but finding the correct size will be difficult, the cheap easy solution is to buy a set of hollow ground screw driver tips and find the one that is the closest in width and thickness for the slot and then grind the center away for clearance. I keep a set around I’ve modified for certain spanner
sizes on rifles over the years. Worst case drop me a PM and I’ll modify one and shoot it over.

One question, that doesn’t happen to be a repaired duffle cut does it? I’m guessing not since it’s also warped behind the rear band.

Military Rifle Journal
Back