Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CE 43 Type III SSR Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    A detail I like very much is the fact that the stock got mis-serialized to the rifle one digit off (9443 instead of 9444) - they simply "corrected" this by a pencil written (and making it matching) 4 over the incorrect 3! Also the stock in the channel is marked "Na 3 49 42", wasn't this something with the date when it was made (like 3rd day in the week 49th week in 1942)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    Cool rifle for sure! I may be wrong but that stock number sure looks like “2443” to me
    It's a pity about the stock and nevertheless it's a great find, congrats!

My first thought was the same like Bigdibbs88, the stock number looks like "2443" and it shows very well how easily you can misread these numbers. I did a collage with the stock number (9602) of one of my Sauer & Sohn rifles, in the middle is Georg's number.
    Serial Number.jpg
    It looks similar like a "2", but I think it's really a "9". There is stamped "9443" and they corrected the incorrect last number by pencil. The stock completion date is December 2, 1942 and it suits into this serial number range, I have a early "n" block with exactly the same stock completion date.

Regards,
    Stephan

Well, I think I definately do not want to keep it as it looks now - so the possibilities then leave me at rather restoring the original stock, or replacing the stock with a complete one (in fact I even have a spare and original Sauer SSR stock which came from another member here). But I think I should rather go with the restoration - mowzerluvr, please do let me know if either of the foreends would match my stock.

Bigdibbs88, re the serial number in the barrel channel: after having removed the stock the first time I thought the same as you. It however is extremely hard to tell and you need the light in the correct angle to make out the correct and full serial number which is, as I had mentioned, one digit off, which was correctened with the pencil. Since this is very tough to tell when you have it in your hands, it is even harder to impossible to get a picture showing it correctly.

I gave it a short thought if I should use chalk to make the markings better visible, but the surface inside the barrel channel is not very smooth so I think that would leave the whole channel in the white. Did anyone ever tried chalk in a barrel channel to make the markings better visible?

Edit: if anyone here has a spare Type III SSR mount (with or without scope) for a Sauer & Sohn rifle they would be parting with, please let me know. I might be able to offer something else in a trade.

Well, I think I definately do not want to keep it as it looks now - so the possibilities then leave me at rather restoring the original stock, or replacing the stock with a complete one (in fact I even have a spare and original Sauer SSR stock which came from another member here). But I think I should rather go with the restoration - mowzerluvr, please do let me know if either of the foreends would match my stock.

Bigdibbs88, re the serial number in the barrel channel: after having removed the stock the first time I thought the same as you. It however is extremely hard to tell and you need the light in the correct angle to make out the correct and full serial number which is, as I had mentioned, one digit off, which was correctened with the pencil. Since this is very tough to tell when you have it in your hands, it is even harder to impossible to get a picture showing it correctly.

I gave it a short thought if I should use chalk to make the markings better visible, but the surface inside the barrel channel is not very smooth so I think that would leave the whole channel in the white. Did anyone ever tried chalk in a barrel channel to make the markings better visible?

Edit: if anyone here has a spare Type III SSR mount (with or without scope) for a Sauer & Sohn rifle they would be parting with, please let me know. I might be able to offer something else in a trade.
    Hi absolut- I wouldn’t use chalk. Just go in a darkened room and shine a light horizontally down the barrel channel. That will light it up nicely

Oh well, I didn't follow your suggestion and did try it.. Afterwards I thought it was a stupid idea because it might take water or a brush to remove it, but then I thought I anyway do not plan to sell it again and the reason for it is anyway documented in here. So who cares!

While the pictures are only poor quality mobile phone pictures it should now be clearly visible that the first digit is a 9 and not a 2. And does anyone have an idea what the "27" and "Na" in the front part of the barrel channel mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh well, I didn't follow your suggestion and did try it.. Afterwards I thought it was a stupid idea because it might take water or a brush to remove it, but then I thought I anyway do not plan to sell it again and the reason for it is anyway documented in here. So who cares!

While the pictures are only poor quality mobile phone pictures it should now be clearly visible that the first digit is a 9 and not a 2. And does anyone have an idea what the "27" and "Na" in the front part of the barrel channel mean?
    The "Na" is the laminate supplier code. The meaning of the number "27" is still unknown, at least to me.

Wow, great find!

IMA restore it using the existing stock. Super cool and rare rifle. I would be proud to own it. Congratulations.

I see it now, definitely agree. Worth repairing for sure!

Would this rifle have had milled (solid, H band?) or stamped barrel bands? And would the bayonet lug had been serialized to match it?

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

Would this rifle have had milled (solid, H band?) or stamped barrel bands? And would the bayonet lug had been serialized to match it?
    Here are examples of three different JPS rifles from 1943. I'd use them as my example to restore your rifle.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ock-(all-match

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....9-my-new-CE-43

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ing-Duffle-Cut