Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CE 43 Type III SSR Sniper

Default CE 43 Type III SSR Sniper

It seems that this was the "luck week" since I not only got hold of an all matching bcd / bnz 4 dual code K98k rifle, but also stumbled into an ad from this morning for a sportered K98k. Well, after calling the owner I have had a very quick dinner (hoping noone else would call him and him sticking to his promises) and drove two hours to pick it up for quite a good price as well.

The bads: not only poor finish left (typical to be found with J. P. Sauer & Sohn rifles), but also heavy rust pittings on the barrel. And the stock had been cut right, a bit similar to the duffle cuts, but of course locally made and not meant for bringing it to the US. Therefore also the two barrel bands and bayonet lug plus handguard are missing. Also missing is one fixture screw for one of the three main screws on the scope base.

The goods: it is an all original and untouched Type III SSR sniper rifle made by Sauer & Sohn in 1943! And while it has rust pittings on the outside, the barrel still is nice (I even got offered to fire it, what I declined).
    Attached Images Attached Images

A detail I like very much is the fact that the stock got mis-serialized to the rifle one digit off (9443 instead of 9444) - they simply "corrected" this by a pencil written (and making it matching) 4 over the incorrect 3! Also the stock in the channel is marked "Na 3 49 42", wasn't this something with the date when it was made (like 3rd day in the week 49th week in 1942)?

The scope base is unmarked aside of a two digit serial on bottom of it. See the pictures. Safety also seems to be shortened, but very nicely made. Receiver is marked 280 on the right side, forgot to take pictures of it (Stock is marked Eagle H, as it should be).

... now have to decide whether I should restore it, or leave it this way! Any suggestions on what to do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    A detail I like very much is the fact that the stock got mis-serialized to the rifle one digit off (9443 instead of 9444) - they simply "corrected" this by a pencil written (and making it matching) 4 over the incorrect 3! Also the stock in the channel is marked "Na 3 49 42", wasn't this something with the date when it was made (like 3rd day in the week 49th week in 1942)?

The scope base is unmarked aside of a two digit serial on bottom of it. See the pictures. Safety also seems to be shortened, but very nicely made. Receiver is marked 280 on the right side, forgot to take pictures of it (Stock is marked Eagle H, as it should be).

... now have to decide whether I should restore it, or leave it this way! Any suggestions on what to do?
    Hello Georg. I definitely would fix that cut stock and make it all look as right as possible. Those SSR rifles are impossible to find and still valuable restored in my mind. Great find I think.

Even with the condition talk about a cool find! Difficult to do but that stock can be saved! That’s correct on the stock date, just in time for Christmas.

Great find Georg!!! Can’t wait to see when you put her back together!

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

Neat rifle. This was the end of the line for the Short Side Rail. Tough gun to find. Don't really know how you restore it in that condition. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

I will have 3 stock fore-ends soon. may have one that matches the color/look if you decide to fix the nose of the old girl.

Awesome! Great find!

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Good find Georg , as mentioned a Tough Variant to come buy . I would bet once its been restored it will look a lot better . Look forward to seeing it finished . Best Regards .

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post

Cool rifle for sure! I may be wrong but that stock number sure looks like “2443” to me