Third Party Press

All matching byf 43, real deal or another fake?

NorthernLights

Hey there guys, been reading on the forums for awhile as I'm looking for my first k98. Thanks for all the great information in advance! Specifically, I'm looking for a collectors quality byf early '40s rifle. Is the listing below the real thing or is this another fake? If real, any input on a fair price?

Moderator edit: Link removed due to forum policy. Go to GB and dig it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
One could say market dictates price, but I'm sure this will go well above what the majority of us will consider a fair price based on the amount of traffic it's garnished so far.

Sorry didn’t realize it was poor form to post about live auctions. Why is that? (makes it difficult for an amature to make an informed decision before spending a lot).

Another question: is there a highly reputable large scale dealer of k98 rifles, similar to SimpsonLTD being a large scale highly reputable dealer for Lugers??

Thanks.

Posting live auctions can be seen as promoting an auction which is not allowed and it also has the negative effect for the buyer of alerting everyone to the item that they may be bidding on and therefore drive up the price. You can post pictures, but not a link or location of where the item is being listed (be aware that your pictures most likely will be a dead giveaway to where the item is being listed if it is on one of the popular online auction forums). Besides posting pictures, the preferred method for an assessment of the item would be to PM or email the information to one of the moderators on this website and ask their opinion. You will receive good advice from these members regarding the items condition and its price. Welcome to the site and the hobby!!

Last edited:
Sorry didn’t realize it was poor form to post about live auctions. Why is that? (makes it difficult for an amature to make an informed decision before spending a lot).

Another question: is there a highly reputable large scale dealer of k98 rifles, similar to SimpsonLTD being a large scale highly reputable dealer for Lugers??

Thanks.

A lot of ongoing auctions are being discussed on Dave's site http://ww2weaponsforum.com/activity.php
Those are mostly auctions offering interesting or questionable items. Nevertheless, even there, the site members are less likely to answer your "Is this a good one?" question.
The best place for buying a good rifle is actually right under you nose, here in our trader forum. Vetted, blessed and somewhat guaranteed.

I'm always amazed when "new" people post live auctions. Frankly, if you have to post a link to an auction to figure out if something is good, you shouldn't be bidding on it. By posting the auction, you alert people who lurk to the auction and probably add 2-3 serious people to the bidding process against you, many who may know right off if it's good. So you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

If you truly want to learn about the stuff, and not learn just enough to bid on something, you would wait until the auction is over and post photos or a link to the closed auction, then you will get all the education you want. But, you made it pretty clear in your second post to the forum what your itinerary is, get confirmation that its good and how much money you should spend. That isn't collecting, which is what this forum is about - that is accumulation.

I had posted an auction link in the past which was removed. A mod informed me that if they allow auction links that "we get into a situation where auction bidders and sellers are posting things here to vet and advertise". I still consider myself a rookie at K98k collecting and looking and examining pictures to post is a good way of getting experience at what markings to look at.

I'm always amazed when "new" people post live auctions. Frankly, if you have to post a link to an auction to figure out if something is good, you shouldn't be bidding on it. By posting the auction, you alert people who lurk to the auction and probably add 2-3 serious people to the bidding process against you, many who may know right off if it's good. So you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

If you truly want to learn about the stuff, and not learn just enough to bid on something, you would wait until the auction is over and post photos or a link to the closed auction, then you will get all the education you want. But, you made it pretty clear in your second post to the forum what your itinerary is, get confirmation that its good and how much money you should spend. That isn't collecting, which is what this forum is about - that is accumulation.

Reminds me of the newb who recently posted a couple of closed auctions here for rifles he had bought asking why he had paid such different amounts to "win" each rifle. Talk about being clueless with more money than brains. LOL.

I got chewed out big time on a Facebook group when I called someone out FOR sharing a live auction.

The sheeple there didn't seem to understand why this was a problem, claimed I was screwing the seller in that way, and made me look like the jerk as a result. Whatever. I don't know why I even go to any of those groups. Just filled with people who don't know the difference between a $100 and $5,000 example.

..You can post pictures, but ..(be aware that your pictures most likely will be a dead giveaway to where the item is being listed if it is on one of the popular online auction forums).

It is very possible to snip the photos so the seller ID or other info that would immediately reveal the location is removed. That's really the best solution if you're trying to keep the traffic down. However someone who's really interested can most likely find it if they desire based on the rifles info shown in those same photos.

Walnut sells. MO sells. Demand for nice 98ks is outpacing supply. I feel bad for new collectors that want to get in to a nice rifle reasonably and have to duke it out on gunbroker.

I was watching that one along with the rest of mauserdom. But pre98 bid that up to the near end. So did they figure there was more room in it @ 3500.00 ???
it is Mint crisp... so I guess so.

He just flipped that "documented" ar41 with no documentation for more than a 2x profit.. somehow he finds the less informed with tons of cash.

Military Rifle Journal
Back